1. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

hi<br> I can't get the plow bade any closer then about 1&quot; from road surface. I tried everything I could think of more weight in the back, more air in front shocks. Is there anything else I could try? How about taking the plow shoes off? would that damage the plow?

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

First take the shoes off. If that doesn't solve the problem, look at your lift cylinder. Is it fully retracted when the plow is 1'' of the ground? If it you chain is out of adjustment. If there is still some of the cylinder showing, it just the shoes. <p><br>What brand of plow is it?<br>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

See this is what I mean, even a simple ? can be answered with dignity. Welcome to the forum Mountain. plowing with the shoes off wont hurt the plow, it will accelerate the cutting edge wear, but that is the only way to plow clear to the pavement. If it is a new plow, the dealer may just have left the shoes adjusted way to high. there should be a stack of washers that by moving them btween the top and the bottom of the plow anchor for the shoe , will help you adjust the cutting edge height. <br>For the most part if you are on asphalt you wont need them, if you do alot of gravel drives, it may help to leave them on, and an inch above the ground would be a good height.<br>Dino <br><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

hey thanks<p>I ended up taking the shoes off for pavement the putting them back on for gravel , the only thing I can guess is that the plow is mounted to low on the truck.<br> it's a meyers plow. we have the same plow on a '96 dodge without this problem , but just got a ford 150 and well you heard the rest<p> thanks again

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If taking the shoes off didn't solve the problem try putting more slack in your chain. Make sure when the plow is down 2&quot; of the lift cylinder is still exposed.<p>Geoff