1. rochester

rochester LawnSite Member

New to the game. Just bought my 1st plow today, 7.5' Western. My question is, does western or any other company make a dolly for a plow? I would like to set my unimount plow down on the dolly when I disconect in the garage then wheel the plow out of the way. Also, it would seem this would make conecting very easy.

2. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used to store my plows on shids when not in use and move them around with a skid jack. However, mounting and dismounting with skids involved was dificult because of truck/plow height differences. I discovered this spring that a skid jack will go under the plow when dismounted without a skid and there is no more problem. Used skid jacks can commonly be found for $100.-$200.

3. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

I have one and think its a good idea, much easier to roll it around than drag it iin the garage.
    There was a whole discussion on this topic just a couple of days ago, do a search or go onto the next page of posts (or so) and you should see it. It has the "Plow Dolly" title.

HTH,

4. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

They're excellent ideas!!!!! Don't buy one though, make one. Go to Home Depot and get 4 heavy duty swivel casters (5-6"). They're about $6 each. Buy some 2x4s and some plywood. Make the platform and bolt the casters on - there ya go - a plow dolly for about $30! We use these and they've lasted for years.
    Tips - get the larger caster wheels (not too big though). Make sure ALL 4 wheels swivel. Build the platform large enough (2'x3') for your plow.

Note: I had a dolly that someone else built - only 2 wheels swivelled and the wheels were too big. I went to move the plow a couple of feet in the shop last year, the plow shifted because of the two locked wheels and fell off the dolly onto my foot (non-steel toed foot!!!). I broke (pulverized) my baby toe. VERY PAINFUL!!!!! Lesson: All for wheels must swivel - keep feet/hands out from under the plow when moving it and WEAR STEEL TOED BOOTS!!!
    Good luck!