1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plow fit problem?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by DanG, Nov 8, 2000.

1. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I just bought a new(slightly used)truck a 1999 S-10 4x4 4.3liter with auto tranny w/tranny cooler and I'm running into a problem getting a plow for it.

I had a 1993 S-10 but they say that you can't put that plow on the new one.( I have a western unimount 6.5')
    Their listing only goes up to 1996.

And the two trucks have two differant body styles.
    (i measured the frames & they appear to match up so I think it'll fit)
    Any one put a plow on a newer S-10 off of an older one?

What did you do about the airbag?

just for the heck of it I checked with my local Fisher dealer and they say that they don't even sell S-10 plows anymore due to the trucks not being built heavy enough.

Yet I've seen minute mount plows on new style S-10's whats the deal?

I know if I had to I can put on a snoway plow(around $2200.00 but not installed though) but I'd rather keep the money in my pocket and use my old plow if it'll fit

Thanks for any help,

D.G. Enterprises
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The air bag wont be an issue, the bumper itself needs to be pushed back before the bag will deploy.
    You would have to fab the mounts for the western subrame to fit. I believe meyer may have a mount for that truck, but that wont help you with running the plow you have.
    We took a 95 Ranger mount for a fisher and had to refabricate the mounts to fit the 99 we replaced it with. Other than that the electrical install was the same.
  3. Alan

Alan Member

I'm keeping my two old style S-10s going as long as I can just so I can avoid the hassle of having to remount my plows. I'm running Sno-Way on them, 8' Predators. I don't recommend it, but it works for me.
  4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Looking at the mount it appears that the same one will fit on the new truck.
    I might have to do some minor Fab work but it should go on(one way or another it will) : )
    Now I just have to find the time to get to it.
    The wiring shouldn't be a problem,
    I put the other one on the old truck.(I have friends who work at a car dealer and I picked it up off of a wholesale truck for $500.00 two years ago)

Your S-10's will push a plow that size ok?
    If I was to buy a new plow I thought of a 7'snoway predator with down pressure( my brother in law has an 8' one on his dodge and it seems to work ok).
    But he says the welds suck
    I've seen them installed with out the lights, do they charge extra for those?
    I know with the solid plows you have to have other lights & wasn't sure with the lexan ones.
  5. Alan

Alan Member

>>Your S-10's will push a plow that size ok? <<

Yup, hard to believe, but there is no practical difference between the S and our K2500 when it comes to handling that 8' blade.

>>But he says the welds suck<<

That's the weak point I have found too. I've discussed it at length with one of the VPs from Sno-Way, their technical person is about as useless at tits on a boar and more of a liar than Bill Clinton when you try to pin him down about welding problems. I got into it heavy with him about the correct procedure for welding repairs on their "high strength steels"

>>I know with the solid plows you have to have other lights & wasn't sure with the lexan ones<<

Yes, the light kit is an extra, and you do need lights with the Lexan skin. It diffuses the light from your regular headlights too much to let them be useful even when it is new, and once it gets scuffed up some it takes on a frosted texture that makes your regular lights totally useless.

BTW, we're got 2 Predators and a Lobo at this time.
  6. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info,

Now I just have to pray it doesn't snow till I get back from my honeymoon.
    It was bad enough trying to get all my fall cleanups done before I have to leave let alone trying to get the plow off of one truck & onto the other or taking it somewhere to get one put on.
    The wife to be was nagging me already..... is the plow on yet? what happens if it snows while we're gone etc...LOL

Very simple to answer......We'll pay my ex-brother in law to do my route while we're gone if we have to.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorta sounds like you're sending email to the forum while you're on your honeymoon.

PLEASE tell me you haven't left yet......

We have enough problems with wives being upset because we're all on the forum while they are sleeping. I can't imagine what kind of grief a guy would get if he was talking with us while on his honeymoon....... and nobody here wants to be responsible for breaking up your marriage a few days after it begins......

"Sorry honey, you DO look sexy, but I just have to check in at lawnsite for a moment.... don't move.... I'll be right back".

Yeah... right....
  8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Since I've been muzzled, all I will say is thanx for the humor John pretty funny.
  9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah... I kinda wondered if your nose was bleeding after all that stuff.......
  10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Yay, Digger's back! I actually missed him. It wasn't going to be fun picking on Iowa without picking on his neighbor too ;)