Plow folks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Aug 2, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm mostly interested in talking to those in the northern VA area about plowing. I've read up on things but still trying to get a grasp on things here in my area. I know there is plowsite and I'm posted on there but just seems dead not being "season". If you don't mine, shoot me a PM.

I'm looking to use a '02 2500HD and a T190.

Thanks.

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

what are you wanting to know, do you have plows now, clients?? commercial or residential

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Plowsite.com. There are tons of great people over there that can help you out.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im very active in plow site forum during winter months and havent run across many people from your area.
    Mike

5. tthomass

from N. VA

Like I said, I feel plowsite is a little dead this time of year.

I have to yet to price out but Meyer is most common in my area. Probably because they are the cheapest. I've heard a few bad things about their pumps but don't know if such issues have been fixed now.

Western is nice but I'm not going to pay a lot of extra $ just to admit I'm too lazy to hook up a plow.......people fuss about Meyer but I've never had much issue at all hooking them up.

So, Chevy = no plow yet. For the T190 I already have a snow bucket and will need to find a home for this machine......I assume commercial.

I am debating working as a sub (easy) or seeking my own accounts ($). I am torn on hourly rate as well. I see signs all over the place for $80 per hour. After the expense, the over time, the hours and hours at which the work is done.......$80hr sucks. I've had a couple landscapers tell me I can have all the work I want at $110hr billing. I also debating working under VDOT.

As for the T190, I'm clueless on its rate. From speaking with others and reading around I've seen Bobcat work go for $45hr to $120hr+.......that is a heck of a range in my area.

I don't believe snow removal is as simple as overhead + profit. It is a needed service that is sold on its value and perhaps overpriced. If I'm doing this I want to have a much better idea of the market(s) around me and of course, make as much $ as possible. After all, 2am I should be asleep not working.

Thanks for any insight.

6. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I would seek 1-3 commercial sites as close to your location as possible, and do them with just your T190. Use your Chevy to move and spread salt. Use the International to transport the T190, and keep a plow off the Chevy. Or buy a beater w/ plow and use that.

7. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

western and fisher are good plows. They are worth the extra $

8. tthomass

from N. VA

Whatever site the T190 is used for I would deliver prior to the storm. Good idea on getting a few commercial sites and 'tag teaming' them with the truck and T190.

One thing on that though.......the International will very much most likely not be moving in a storm until roads are clear. All depends.

On the other hand there is no problem with putting a plow on the Chevy.....I would be driving it myself. Not that I'm perfect but when you own the tool you tend to take much better care, just in case.

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

boss v-plow
    mike

10. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

tthomas, I'd just hate for you to tear the chevy up w/ a plow.