Plow frame transfer and hairbags?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by POWERBAND, Jan 18, 2001.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND LawnSite Member

80 K20 350-4spd/np205-/7.5 Fisher Speedcast.

I need to find out:

1) Will the plowframe from '80 K20 fit on a pre-88 1/2 ton K10 type shortbed/longbed or is it fairly easily adapted?.

2) Can I use the frame at all on a newer (post 87) type GM 1/2 or 3/4?.

3) What is the consensus as far as airbags and plowing rural (read gravel and hidden rocks) areas.

P.S. I also use when neccessary:
    88 Izulu - 2 Meter Meyer
    50 Ferguson - Front & Back blade
    Gravely with 4'plow

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Hey ,powerband,welcome to LS.I tried to E-mail you but you dont accept E-mails from this site.Where are you from?Write me off forum,since I cant contact you.I know the frame will fit the K10,definetely dont want to adapt it to the 88 and newer,to much work,might as well buy the mounts.As far as airbags go,seriously i think you'll break the plow before you set off the airbags,it takes a serious hit to set them off,a lot more than plowing will do.

3. plowjockey

plowjockey LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the airbags. I work for G.M. and have had some experience with the system of an airbag. They are not set off by a single hit(so to speak) but rather by sensors that measure the rate and severity of DEceleration. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it has been a long time since I went through the class about their workings).
    Happy and Safe Plowing
    Just when you think you've seen it all look around the next corner...if you dare.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Up to my axles in apples......

I remember that from a signature in Usenet rec.autos.4x4...

Haven't been there in a few years.

~Chuck

5. Alan

Alan Member

At the first SIMA Symposium in Pittsburgh there was discussion about plows and airbags. Involved in this were representatives from the major plow manufacturers. It seems that almsot everybody knows somebody who had a buddy who had a bag pop while plowing. But NOBODY actually had had a bag pop on them. The whole issue takes on the status of an urban legend. Rates right up there with the exploding Bic lighters or the welder or electrician (varies with each reincarnation) who got their contact lenses fused to their eyeballs.