Plow install on std. trans.

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by CHATAWAY, Dec 22, 2000.

1. CHATAWAY

CHATAWAY LawnSite Member

Is it worth while putting a V-plow on a std.

I have a 94 ford one ton with a c-6 auto that has been bomb proof very easy to plow and drive together.

Though I do very little plowing I would like to mount a v-plow on a 2001 one ton dodge sport extended cab, but this truck only comes with a 6 spd if you want the high output cummings engine. Is it alot harder and slower for you std. plowers. I hope it is something that I can get used to, with still enjoying the plowing. Not dreading the investment!!!

Thank guys This site is great!!!

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I actually prefer a standard althoguh your leg does get tired. I find that as I am coasting I can be switching gears as long as the clutch is in. Therefore I can immediately start moving when I need to. I have two standards and on auto. The auto I find is good as road or lot plow but for driveways and small lots I like the standards.

3. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I LIKE STANDARD TRANNIES BETTER FOR PLOWING...BESIDES IT BUILDS LEG STRENGTH...LOL..MY OPINION IS PLOWING WITH A S5TICK IS MUCH EASIER ON THE VEHICLE....THINK OF IT LIKE THIS....YOU CAN FEATHER THE CLUTCH TO GO OR TO SLOW DOWN...YOU CAN USSUALLY START OF IN SECOND GEAR, MEANING YOU PROBABLY WON'T NEED TO SHIFT TO MAINTAIN A DECENT SPEED. AGAIN THESE ARE PERSONAL PREFERENCES AND EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT SO JUST TAKE IT SLOW AND DON'T HIT ANY CURBS.....

4. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone enjoys a different experience. Plow tight driveways, sidehills and parking lots for 18 hours per day for 5 days straight, and then tell me your thoughts then about the gear jammers.

5. CHATAWAY

CHATAWAY LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the replies

I was going to put one on the truck even if it was not recomended, I also think the standard can make a good plow truck(those autos can be so unpredictable), just a lillte more foot and arm work. These new standards seem easier to dive than past trucks, you forget it is even a std. with a gear box that slides efortlessly into the right gear and the peddal can be depressed with one finger.

anyways I'll report back after with my results, it may take a month or two since all we get hear is rain!

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We just installed a v plow on an 89 K-30 with a 4 sp. IMO stright plows are better on standard trannies, cause we install the plow controller on the shifter. When I complete the 86 we are working on, the v plow will go on that, and a straight plow will go on the 89. We run all western plows, so we can interchange between trucks. I think standards are fine for plowing, as long as I dont have to drive it. There are for the young and intrepid.
    Dino

7. Veggie Farmer

Veggie Farmer LawnSite Member

I've plowed the last 7 years with a stick shift. For ten years before I had automatics. Other than my left leg getting tired the stick works just fine. I have never torn out a clutch but have replaced it twice, just because. On newer trucks auto trans repairs can get expensive you can change most any clutch for $300.00 or less. Just be sure to have your clutch pushed in before you hit the pile.