1. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

We have basic covered life for a spreader, trucks, and various other things. How long have you guys kept a plow in service? I know Geoff will have an answer on this one. Got go to sleep now, because it just started snowing. We got all the trucks ready to go.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Our 1990 Boss seems to be fine. With the cost of new trucks, I'll probably keep it for another 5 anyway.

With our Meyers 8-10 seemed to be about it.

Our old style rear plows were only good for 6-7 years. Our new style should be good for 15.

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Post of the time we trade the plow with the truck.

However I have 4 old 9' blades used on tractors for pushind snow. 1 97 Diamond, 1 94' Fisher 1 93 Fisher, 1 91 Fisher.

The 91 is showing is getting near the end of dependable service life. So the next few truck's I Trade I will remove the plow system. Keep the pump, wiring, controlls, headlights, lift frame, and 9' blade. The frame kit, I will sell to a local used plow dealer. I also plan on having a spare 9' blade sitting around the yard, just in case.

The 10' blades on our F 650s and F 750, we are not sure on how long they will last. We plan on keeping the trucks at least 10 years, because they are a true medium duty truck. I don't know if Moldboard replacement will be needed after 6 years of hard use or not.

BTW, I think that if you use a home owner grade plow, for commercial, you plow life will be less.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 11-30-2000 at 08:08 PM]

4. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

My friend took my 1976 meyer plow last year because his truck came with the pump and lights but no plow so that is still in use. The plow was originally off a 76 dodge power wagon municipal truck so it saw many hard years of plowing.

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Tim where are you located?

Meyer used by an town, must be southern new england.

Your give a local DPW in Maine a brand new Meyer, they will kill it in 5 years. These guys are brutal, the pound on plows proabably harder than anyone, on this forum. They have broken a-frames on fishers, broken spring mounts, and they just glue them back together. After 10-15 years they can kill a fisher, no problem.

Geoff

6. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

I'm down in western country new jersey thats all you see around here. Our DPW now uses westerns on their pick ups and go through them about every 3 or 4 years

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

DPW should use Fisher or Diamond,they are tough on plows.Those guys go thru trannys as fast as i go thru winshield washer fluid in a bad storm.

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Around here in Essex County, NJ you see Meyer, Diamond, and Western on DPW trucks. The road plow DPW trucks run Western in some towns. It's the mason dumps and pick ups that run Diamond and Meyer (and Western). I have yet to see a V plow on a DPW truck. I wonder how long it will take them to "get up to speed" on V plows.

~Chuck

9. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Chuck i am in bergen county and i really dont see where the DPW's in our area would need a v plow.

10. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

In our town, which is Vernon Township, NJ. They have two v-plows on there trucks. They also got some new F-550 this year with 10' Fisher MC and Smith Spreaders. Nice looking trucks.