1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plow money almost gone

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jrmyj, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jrmyj

jrmyj LawnSite Member

heres the deal, my buddy and i took all the money we made from plowing this year to start up a lawn care buis. so far we bought

60" exmark zero turn
    52" exmark zero turn
    52" exmark walk behind
    16' trailer
    line trimmers
    hedge trimmers

so there are some more things we need but now we need to cut some cost. we are going to get some 400.00 deere push mowers to save money. has anyone had good luck with these or are we wasting our money.

thanks guys
  2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Plow money??? dam in pa we made no plow money this year..very minimal at best!:cry:
  3. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

With the $400 I made plowing, I paid for my fert license, and put aside $ for servicemagic bids!

At least you have good equipment though!
  4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, I would have cut out one of those mowers and spent that on advertising. It doesnt matter what type of equipment you have if it doesn't leave the garage.
  5. ProCut_48

ProCut_48 LawnSite Member
    from michgan

husky makes a good 21 inch walk behind that is a 3 in 1 unit for around that same price!
  6. Coopster81

Coopster81 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yeah.....Expect to put what you make back into your business for a while!!!!!!!! When i was in school for Landscape architecture t osu...i splashed in the business part time....You better believe every penny went back into my business...Trucks ,trailers ,Tillers ,sod cutters ,Advertising ,And way to many more to list.....But today im pretty successful and im starting to reap what i sowed 5 yrs ago....trust me it pays off!!!! Just a word of advice....The temptation is there to get really big really fast!!!! Take your time and grow at a comfortable pace , And dont let the business completely consume you!!! BALANCE
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

around here the only time i see a plow is when its in a field turing up the soil... virginia is due for a good snow storm
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Why so many larger sized mowers? Return/sell the 52" WB and get a couple of Toro, Exmark or Snapper 21"'s. What are you going to do if you have a larger sized gated back yard? OH, I tried one of those JD pushers...junk, wheels felt like they were going to fall off. You would be better with a homeowner Snapper with a Briggs on it.
  9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I still got 3 ft. of snow and two more weeks in my snow contracts.:canadaflag:
  10. jrmyj

jrmyj LawnSite Member

we went with the bigger ones because we are planning to do mostly commercial accts. we also got a killer deal on them. thanks for posting.