1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plow Problems - Help?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Jason Pallas, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Western 7 1/2' Pro Guard on a 92 Ford F250. Problem is, the plow drains electrical system. Battery is new. Alternator is 60amp (reman)just replaced for 2nd time in a year. Plow Electrical motor runs good and does not drain under no load (not hooked to pump). Hooked to pump, the plow angles and raises fine (angles a little slow to left - but not bad). However, within 10 minutes of use, electrical system will drain and truck will stall. You can get the truck to stall real quick if you angle the plow to one side and continue to angle it after its reached max. Alt meter in truck will drains from 12 to near eight everytime you angle and then recovers pretty quick to 12 but like I said extended angling or moderate to heavy use will kill the truck's electrical. We then have to jump start it and baby it (raise/angle in short bursts) - or park it altogether). Otherwise truck runs great - no problems with heater or lights draining system. HELP - Need advice. I think it may be the new alternator is bad. Others? MUCH APPRECIATED!

UNCLE BOB LawnSite Member

I dont know much about Fords,But I can tell ya you need a higher amp alternator
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Bob is right. You need at MINIMUM a 70 amp to run a plow properly. I recommend at least a 90 amp myself. Also, a MINIMUM of 550 CCA battery, and I recommend a 1000CCA battery.
    Naturally under no load, the motor won't draw too many amps.
    In your case, you might try to plow with the headlights off when you can, and shut off the heater. That is, until you upgrade things.

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks! - That's sort of what I was thinking too. The battery is 1000cca and we've been plowing with minimal electrical (lights, heat, etc). I've got a 2000 Dodge with a Western (almost same set up) and I can be running every electrical accessory at full tilt - when I use the plow there the meter barely moves a hair. It's got a bigger alternator (80 amps).
    I'm gonna put a bigger alt in the F250 tommorrow. I'll let you know - (of course I'll do this and they'll be no snow for the rest of the season - Murphy's Law). Thanks!

[Edited by Jason Pallas on 01-24-2001 at 12:04 AM]
  5. bluebyu62

bluebyu62 LawnSite Member

Yes, I agree with Chuck. Definitely do not hesitate to go overboard with the alternator. I had the same problem last year and by installing a second battery it did not help at all. Just before last storm I had a new alternator built and the truck did not show the slightest form of a low battery as it previously always has.
  6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

The Dodge probably has the 90 amp alternator already!

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

All 2000 Rams came with a 136 amp alternator.
  8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The Ford dealer may be able to get you an alternator out of an ambulance. You will have to use the pully off your current alternator. The ambulance alternators put out a lot of amps, I think it is like 200 something.

9. Eager Beaver

Eager Beaver LawnSite Member

I have a 97 ford with a trailer pulling option. Check to see what alternator was used for that option in that year. I have had no trouble with the problems you are having although I have on vehicles before this year of truck. in fact the battery is still the stock one that has never been replaced. Seems to me it is a 120 or so amp alternator.Good Luck
  10. MusGuy

MusGuy LawnSite Member

Check your electrical for an open ground, that is a definite possibility, You will need a multi-tester and some extra hands, check to see if you are drawing a load to your plow system even when it is not in use.... If so, you will have to do some electrical work....