plow through or dig around

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Aug 25, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

when adding on to an existing system and you don't know the location of the lateral lines do you just plow through and fix what ever you you may have hit or do you dig by hand?

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Short of a "as-built", which is very uncommon these days, you can fire the zone & figure how "you" would have laid it out, flag the heads & look at it for a while, see if you can get a sense, dig up the heads to get a idea of run
    directions..it's a crap shoot for sure.Some "incisions" mite be helpfull between
    the heads. If it's class 200 or thinner & you hit it, the fun has just begun!
    A lot of times, where the damage could have wrecked the zone anyway, I opted to re-do the whole zone. Good luck!:) :cry:

4. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Follow Mikes directions...l

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I was just trying to get a feel for what other people do. most times think about where i would have put a line and try not to hit them but if i do i fix it after. most times i think it is easier to do it this way than dig the whole thing by hand.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you can use a shorter plow blade, you can avoid some problems. When the job is a beginning-of-the-season addition, it would be possible to run a snake through the lines, and follow it with the wire tracker. (that only worked when there was no water in the lines)

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with that, if you hit a lateral (or main) hard enough, you could
    pull either (or both ends) out of the sockets. You could also "stretch' or crack
    the pipe. You mite not know until you fire it or the client gets the water bill or
    the dog is missing." By hand" is what drives a lot of good people out of our
    biz!:)

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

For those with Seminole blood and "the gift"... witch the property. :)

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I endow you with the power to dowse.

fairy.gif

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Dowsing and witching are two different witchcraft disciplines. :)