Plow Truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lazer Cut, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2006 tundra, 4x4, 4.7i-force v8, sr5 trd off road package... I was wondering what ya'lls input would be for making this a plow truck for small parking lots and driveways... I think it would work great w/ a smaller plow on the front and little work done to it...

I know stupid to talk about a plow now but its something to work for :clapping:

2. pjlandscapes

pjlandscapes LawnSite Member
    from CT

on plowsite there are a few guys who have them with plows like fisher ht and love them...

3. Lazer Cut

that's good to know... i am really wanting to plow this year

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

You can make a alot of money plowing, but the down side unless you have good contracts your not going to be making a ton. Unfortantly up here in WI everybody and their mother has a plow hanging off their truck. To me its like the lawn moving side of the game just in winter. If this is your first year I'd think about sub contracting yourself out till you get the hang of it.

Note with a plow your going to have to call your insurance company to have them add it to your policy. Plus if your going to use a De-Icing agents your going to need a way to spread it, plus the insurance on that as well.

5. Lazer Cut

Ya... if I can plow... I have 2 contracts that will pay for the plow plus if those fall through I have a hook up in a property managment compnay that/wants me to plow...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. pjlandscapes

from CT

Which model is your tundra?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. pjlandscapes

from CT

Woops sorry lol just saw the model
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Lazer Cut

Bump bump
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Tundra will work fine for light plowing, the 4.7 is plenty adequate. I agree, stay with a light weight unit under 7.5 feet wide. Even with full hydraulics and mounting kit weight should be in the 600-700lb range depending on model/blade type, etc.

I don't see many Toy's around my area with plows. Mostly I've seen Dodge Ram 1500's that do smaller, light commercial/residential lots. It'll do the job, but for constant work, you'd be asking too much of a half ton truck, irregardless of make- front end will go through parts like crazy.

10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I'll add that if the front end drops more than you like, and you find you rub curbs here and there from the suspension bottoming out yet you're still within the front gross axle weight rating (GAWR), then check these out as an option to help you keep the height: http://www.timbren.com/