Plowing for city

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Guido, Feb 26, 2000.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone plow for their city or sate with your own trucks? I heard the money was pretty good. Can someone give me some pros and cons on the issue?<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well i don't plow for the city ( because there are no cities in maine haa hee). Anyways i know some people that do plow for the city.<p>OK Pros<br>They supply the sand and salt ( so use as much as ya want, bring a load home with you)<br>Some supply the fuel and cutting edges.<br>Some will even almost sub out area of road. One town will have you plow X amount of miles for X amount of dollars no matter how much you plow or sand. <br>Other towns will pay by the hour. <br>You will get paid.<br>If your just plowing pavements less wear or the truck and plow<p>Cons<br>High insurance requirements<br>Some require at least a 1 ton truck<br>some require your own fuel and cutting edges<br>Some call you when they need you ( so some storms you roll some you don't)<br>Some give you a different area to plow each storm.<p>Geoff

3. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

We use to plow for our city,for the loaders we got 55 an hour,and 35 an hour for any other truck.We also had to buy our own fuel and edges.If I were you I would keep away from plowing streets but if you do install a rubber cutting edge they help out alot

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Two scenarios for you.<br>My liitle town hires a contractor to plow with the 3 town trucks. Its a six wheel, 7 yard body with spreader and 10-11' plow. IE viking, everest, frink or the like. <br>The town supplies fuel,edges and sand/salt.<br>they pay about 100 per hour and you are out with the first flake. But you have your own route, and you will be the only one who plows it. No garuntee of hours and 5 mil liability.<br>Same truck for the state of conn. Same ins. You buy edges,fuel and food. They only supply the material to spread. They gaurntee 40 hrs, and pay 125 an hour after the 40. In the last 5 yrs no one has gone over the 40. they call you in only if a big storm is predicted and cut you lose as soon as possible.<br>So in the case of this truck, you would be better off plowing for the small town then the state.<br>Also if you are plowing city streets, forget the rubber and get a urethane edge. Easier on the truck then steel. Will last longer than steel or rubber and costs less then rubber.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

Dino these urethane edges that you are talking about are they really that much better?I am interested in finding out more about these.Is there a manufacturer website for these edges?

6. plowking35

from S.E. CT

Yes they are that much better. Unless I had plowed with them , I might not have believed it. Email me plowking35@aol.com<br>I will send you my article that i am working on regarding these edges.<br>My suppiers web address is www.mptek.com or email vince at<br>vincentp@mail.tds.net<br>he is vp of sales for them. He has a ton of knowledge when it comes to urethane. he has ben in the bus for many years and holds pattenst on a lot of products you use everyday. I have a letter from Lebanon NH Airport and they love the edges.Now if they can meet FAA and NTSB requirements then us street plow jockeys are way ahead of the game. They mentioned that they plow right over the runway light with the edges. So far 0 damaged. With the steel edges they were replacing a few every year.They are also out wearing the steel 3-1. Very similar to the results we have seen.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Dino, where are you from in CT? I grew up in Waterbury area. Just wondering.<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

8. plowking35

from S.E. CT

i live near Norwich.<br>All my plowing is in the Norwich area <br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I know some guys with 3/4 + 1 ton trucks that gave up driveways because its hard to manouver and plow for the town.They mostly plow the center of the road and the intersections. There is always a town plow truck used to push back (or second truck ). Last I heard the rate was $40.00 per hour and were only used when needed,on call.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

He must be crazy to plow for 40 an hour,I wouldn't start my truck for that.2 driveways are $50 minimum and take 5-10 minutes each+travel time is still way ahead and I dont like being on call,being called only when they cant handle it and sent home as soon as it's under control.If you have your own+that for in between and a free load of salt/sand,then maybe it would pay off.In order for me to stay in business I need to make 100-200 an hour plowing,and I bid by job,not hour.This is tough work,on us and our trucks,and we should be compensated for being ready to roll from dec-april if a storm come in quickly or unexpectantly.<p>----------<br>John D<br>