Plowing heavy slush

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Remsen1, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are there any tricks for plowing heavy slushy snow. We've been experiencing a thaw which caused the based snow to turn into slush (my residentials are not paved, so I do not salt or sand drives to expose bare ground). Making the first pass was very difficult no matter what I tried (full angle, partial angle, no angle). Floating the plow or using the plow shoes was not an option because I was only plowing 1"-1.5" and if I floated the plow or used the shoes, I wouldn't be plowing anything. I loaded the box of my truck with this heavy wet snow and this did help improve traction. I'm afraid I was beating the hell out of my plow. I imagine that a v-plow would really excell under these conditions.

Any tips? Or do I just have to deal with it the best that I can? Needless to say, I will not be accepting any callup work for this type of snow. (can't really even call it snow)

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe its time to try a uerathane cutting edge.Dino will hook you up with one.I need some snow now to try mine.

3. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

WHat exactly wwas the problem, traction, or scraping action, or was it the plow tripping too easy???

I jsut tighten the trip springs up a couple turns when dealing with this kind of a mess to keep the plow from always running about half tripped, in snow it is never a problem, an I have never had traction problems, In tough condition, I use 4 low to avoid overheating the trann, and it also gives you more control in tight quarters.

4. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Despite all the discussion here about how poorly a Boss plow trips, it is that same characteristic that makes them excell at cutting loosened hardpack. The plow stays put and cuts really well.

I feel a steel edge is also an advantage for this particular job, because you want to minimize the contact area in order to cut more.

5. Remsen1

With this type of "snow" (can't really call it snow) all the weaknesses seem to show up at once. The problem is making that first pass. At first, my main problem was traction. Each time I tried to push the snow with the blade angled, my truck would slide to the side. When I decrease the angle or went to no angle I would go a little further and then spin. At this point I loaded the bed of the truck with snow, this increased my traction and got me a little further. Now my main problem is blade tripping and at times I would still catch an edge and slide. This usually only occurred on the first pass. After I was able to get through once, I was fine.

I've already tightened the springs, near to the end of the adjustable range. Maybe the springs are shot? I think it is just the extreme conditions though. I am 99% convinced that a V-plow would have significantly less difficulty making the first pass. The design would break through the crust like a wedge and would put an equal amount of resistance on both side of the truck so it wouldn't slide off to one side. I want to hear from some of you guys who have switched to v-plows to hear if I am correct.

6. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct in the v position you dont slide. but depending on the amount of hard-pack it still may cause problems on the next passes. I dont know if you get enough snow to justify a back-blade but they are great. they have down pressure so over time (scraping every time plowing) the hard pack never builds up. Heres a pic of mine if you want to see

http://greenquest.net/photo_page.html

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Nice set up you have there. Looks nice.

8. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Nice truck,
    That looks like a daniels back blade.
    same as on my one truck except for the color.

Dan

9. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Remsen - I don't remember reading what type blade you have, but you should have at least 3 springs on a 7.5 footer. Eight footers need 4. I have seen up to six, but I would not want to be in the truck when that setup recoiled - you'd want to hide under the dash.

Be carefull cranking on the 5/8" adjusting bolts. Overtightening them will not do much to increase trip resistance, but you risk over-stretching the springs because you preload too much stretch in initially. Add more springs.

Yes vee-plows are better, but it is still hard work. Loaders work the best.

10. Remsen1

Greequestlawn,

We get plenty of snow every winter. We've had 15 plowable snows so far. I think the backblade would be feasible. I never saw one of these in action. Do you drop it when you back out? Is the down pressure enough to decrease rear traction? does it scrape up gravel? sod?