Plowing poly lines.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 27, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

When you guys plow what's the maximum number of 1" poly lines you can pull in at the same time? Does it depend on the type/model of plow you use?

When plowing multiple lines do they maintain their "attitude" or will they cross or twist positions?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

PVC lines tend to like to braid If I plow 3 at a time. A lot of it has to do with how they are conneted to the plow though.

We just picked up a blade that should allow us to lay poly off a reel instead of pulling it in. Should be a huge timesaver...and we will be the first company in the area to use poly.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's very plow-dependent. The plows most capable of not leaving a trace of their passage only plow one pipe at a time. Not a real drawback when the plowed lines are running from head to head, and not needing to be near each other.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I pull two lines at a time frequently w/ a 2 1/2" bullet. The size of the bullet on the plow or the trailing bullet makes a major difference in what size and how many you can pull. The machine being used has to be able to pull the bullet on the blade. Initially the pipe just follow along. If your run becomes extended, then the length of the run and how straight you pull becomes a factor. If your "dodging" rocks, and going up and down, that is sometimes worse than if you try and pull a shallow 90. And I don't know if braid is the right term, but they do not ride together consistently. If I am pulling multiple poly, I have gone so far as to use different brands of pipe for the pulls. One supplier I buy from can sell me a poly roll with a green stripe in it. I forget what brand. For my money, 80# poly is 80# poly and I'll take the price point. The majoriity of my double pulls are PVC main w/ a poly lateral in the same ditch. Narrow side yards are easiest to do in one pull.

5. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I have pulled 4 at the most but that was in sand it was easy about 100' the hard part was having 4 guys unroll at the same time. We usaully just do 2 lines when the ground is hard. But when you do multiple lines each chain with your bullet has to be a different length longer to avoid making a huge bulge to pull length 1 --------->
    length 2 ----------------->>
    length 3 ---------------------------->>>
    length 4-------------------------------------------------->>>>

6. PurpHaze

Kind of like having different colored wires. Good idea.

Appears to be an appropriate place for this double pull.

7. PurpHaze

Thanks for the info. This concept makes sense to me.

8. PurpHaze

When making a 90 on a pull what is the potential for the poly to crimp around this 90 and close down? Does the nature of plowing and the strength of the poly prevent this? Is this completed like a true 90 or more like a conduit sweep 90?

9. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

It's completed as a sweep 90. As long as you keep the machine pulling forward, you will not kink the poly. The only time you can kink poly pulling is by making a too sharp a turn by as your pulling, back up slightly in the opposite direction, and going forward in the direction of the turn. Doing it once usually doesn't cause any kink issues, but several times and making a smaller radius can kink the pipe.

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've also kinked the pipe when the plow blade popped over a root and then I came down after it too quickly... it's bad because it kinks the entire way over the root