Plowing Question SUV????

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by rusty_keg_3, Jul 4, 2009.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, my mom has a 95 GMC Suburban, she will be getting rid of it. We are gonna trade it in, and we can get like $4,500 because its a "gas guzzler" some incentive program. Well we will get another Chevy or GMC, she wants a SUV, 4X4, and something we can put a poly plow on for her driveway, and another plow for the biz.

So, here is the question, what should she get? I figure the smallest SUV we could use would have to be a Tahoe/Yukon. So how do you think it would work? I know that people put plows on Tahoes and whatnot, and i dont know if they do for Tahoes, but you can get a Suburban 2500.

So, please tell me what you think, questions, comments, ect.... Thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, it will work.

Originally Broncos were the rage when the plowing biz took off in the 70's-80's.

The only problem with an SUV, is that backing up is much slower as you will be using your mirrors, and the odds that you will hit something will be greater.

Watch out for the wheel-base too. The shorter the wheel-base, the easier it is to maneuver in tight spots. I've heard tons of guys complain about their extended cabs and plowing with them.

Also, a poly plow is pretty good, but as you use it more and more, you'll realize that you should have invested in a steel plow.

One more thing, the mods might make you go to plow-site with this question.

3. rusty_keg_3

Well, we have a Boss poly V plow on our on Chevy Silverado 3500HD, and like it.

4. rusty_keg_3

yea, i guess ill have to go to plow site, but my account never got activated...

5. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the new ones 07-09 is hard to hook up plows because of the low ground clearance. they have that big abnoxious front bumper. my dad has one and i hate driveing i because of that.

6. rusty_keg_3

Yea, thats one of the concerns...