1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Schools

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Mar 7, 2000.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have been asked to bid on plowing a local school(s). I wondered if any of you guys plow schools and want to know the postives and negatives ( i have neve plowed a school, just know it's a bunch of parking lots, roads and walkways.<p>Here is the deal:<br>On site storage space for snowblowers, shovels sand/salt for walkways.<p>Schools close at the latest 3 PM open at 7:30 earliest but staff is there before.<p>Schools are closed based on road conditions and called off by bus director.<p>Plenty of room for snow.<p>Roads must be clear and sanded 1/2 before school opens. Lots must be cleared if lots are empty and snow has ended before school opens. If there isn't time the lots must be cleared at the end of the day. Roads must be kept plowed and sanded during a storm, if school is open walkways must be also kept cleared.<p>What do you guys think?<p>Geoff
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I know alot of guys that plow schools. they seem to do very well. Snow and Ice manager last fall did an article on plowing a school district in Minnisota. If you were a member of SIMA you would have already read that tho. LOL just a little SIMA humor.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  3. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

We are hoping to plow for the school board next winter. Looking at the sizes of the lots, the fact that they are geographically close together, and the absence of vehicles parked overnight they seem like a good bet. However, look at my post in commercial lawn care and you'll understand why we may be hesitant to commit to a contract with several buildings included. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
  4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The only problem with the school contract we are looking at is, the high school. The High School is where the local basket ball games happen at about 2 times a week, and sat am kids ball. At those times we would have to make a good faith effort to clear the lots.<p>Geoff
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

I won the contract for three schools this year(three year contract). The plus sides are like you mentioned, no or very few vehicles, closed on a snow day, not open weekends, and the ones I bid on are in a 1 mile radius. The only negative side is I'm not allowed to operate while students are going to or from school ( for safefy sakes I wouldn't want have equipemeny aroun kids horseing around on the school grounds) I have to have plowing etc. completed before 7 am, but that is always a lite snowfall, and I haven't had a problem. One unpredicted snowfall this year, I was called in to ensure the buses had no problems, during school hours, at the principles request. They aren't the headache some of my commercial lots who insist on being open no matter how bad the storm and having to deal with stranded cars. Bill
  6. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

The schools we use to do were nice contracts as long as you do not mind waiting several months for a check.