Plowing tips

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirtman2007, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok well they are calling for 4-12" of snow here and thats pretty much a natural disaster for this area. I've already been hired to set up some equipment for plowing if it is needed. I'll be doing subdivisions, parking lots and driveways. right now I'm just planning on the Tak 150 Skid steer and maybe my tractor. I've never plowed before so any tips are welcome.

Thanks

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plowing in your TK will get old real quick. Watch out for curb drains and manholes... they will ruin your day if you hit one in your loader. If you're in a subdivsion, I would use the loader to clear the cul-de-sacs since they take longer if you have a truck helping you. Backdrag the driveways, but going back and forth over the curbs will be rough and I doubt you'll get very good traction. The tractor with a box blade would be a much better option on driveways.

If you're just using a standard dirt bucket on your TK, everything you plow will take forever if you're in a wide open area. Your bucket will just keep spilling out the sides. I would try to keep the TK in the tighter areas where it will shine more and you can use the advantages it does have.

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the tips

I read something on here about using the "Float" button when plowing? Is that better than just pushing down with the boom?

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

turn the heat on.. :p

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

leave the tak in the shed....arguably the worst machine in the snow...the pad style tracks are terrible...i dont want to get you down, just more give you something to think about before the snow so you might be able to secure some other equipment before the snow starts flying

the takeuchi pushing snow will not push up a hill...it just wont do it
    it will slide going down a hill...put your seat belt on
    depending on "pavement conditions" you will really only be able to push maybe 50 feet that is if you can get started...when you go from reverse to forward all your tracks will do is spin

now granted these experiences i share come from a TL130...maybe a 150 would be different

6. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

If you are pushing with the take, keep it on flat pavement (Parking lots) Its going to suck since you are used to pushing lots of dirt and mud with it.

Your tractor is going to be worse.

Biggest thing is keep the bucket flat as possible, don't get crazy. Go out and scout where you might be pushing, so your aren't supprised when your face is smashed up against the window after you hit a curb or something.

J.

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay off of sidewalks and people's concrete driveways. Takeuchi"s destroy them by cracking them if they are 4" slabs and it's really cold.

8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

here's a tip. keep you machine off hills and if you are plowing with a bucket you are in for trouble. There's a reason all snow blades have some sort of trip mechanism.

9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Yep the tracked skid will suck, but its still better than a open station tractor. Everything is just done at a slower pace then moving dirt.

10. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Slower pace? Have you ever plowed snow? Nothing slow about it. Time is money!!!

J.