Plowing w/ Duramax / Allison combo

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jun 5, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I was looking at a new GMC Sierra today, crew cab, thinking about giving one a shot.

However, the salesman I know very well (I mow the dealership) and he said I can't put a plow on it, GMC won't honor the warranty with the crew cab / Duramax / Allison combo.

Anyone here hear of this??

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Not true at all. If it is D/Max equipped, all the items you need for a seriously heavy plow truck are in place. The only complaint I have heard is that the tranny won't go over 30 mph in reverse, which is true, all I got was 27 and hit the red line. We don't plow, but, going slow in reverse os alot better than waiting 6 weeks for Ford to send you a new case after it craked, or dropping $2,700.00 on a rebuild of another style tranny.

Now, what is true, is with chips. Pretty much any manufacturer will void their warrantee if you install a performance chip. You install a chip and the computer logs in when it was placed, and what it was. So, you scatter your tranny, reinstall the factory chip and the first thing the dealer is runs the codes and sequences. If it comes up your chip was removed, guess what? Cha Ching....You pay and with a truck sitting around 40K, and the tranny, either Allison of TS at $4K for a rebuild, I'm not thinking I want to do a chip.....
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you can get the snow plow prep on the crew cab d/a. you can on the extended cab though. in order for it to void you warranty they have to prove that the plow caused the problem.
  4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

That is what I was told. The Dmax is so heavy that the front axle doesn't have the capacity to hold a plow....."officially"...........I will hang a Snoway on mine though....

5. PLM-1

I'd put anything on it. I know a guy with a Fisher V on his crew cab long bed D/A.
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Most any snowplow will surpass the allowable front end weight rating. THe weight of the dmax and being a crew cab means that GM doesn't put the snowplow prep on it. It does, however, have most of the components the snowplow prep will have. The front end just aint rated for it.

That being said, we hung one of the heaviest plows out there on our crew cab duramax, a 950lbs blizzard 810. I'm sure they won't warranty front end parts and other things related to that, but it should have no effect on engine, tranny, etc.

BTW, it plows effortlessly through the toughest storms, especially with a chip (which of course, will void the warranty, but they don't have to know about that).

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know about the dealers you all have, but.....

I've got 2 that I deal with that sell GMC trucks.

The one I've been mowing for about 10 years now, the second my family has been buying vehicles off and on from for 20 years.

Anyways, both of them have said now that GM will NOT warranty the truck if I put a plow on it, if the truck does not have the snow plow prep package.

I cannot get the snowplow prep package on a GM produced crew cab with the Duramax.

Therefore, no warranty.

My dealer that I mow at, he's even called GM and asked if the warranty would still be good on stuff other than the drivetrain.

They said no, no warranty whatsoever on anything if there's a plow bracket, or has been a plow bracked on the truck.

Looks like I'll have to stick to my Dodge's.

They've got a longer drivetrain warranty from the factory anyways.
  8. PLM-1

They're $hittin ya!!! They CANNOT do that! The plow HAS TO cause the damage. You can't void a window switch because of a plow but you can front end suspension. My neighbor is a GMC dealer and I've talked to him about it. Your dealer is feeding you a line of BS! Most good dealers will just replace items anyway. GM doesn't know unless the dealer tells them!