1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plowing with 2wd dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLC1, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Does anybody plow with a 2 wheel drive dump? I was looking at some 1 ton dumps and curious if I need 4x4 to plow.
  2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Hmm the boys at plowsite.com or new.plowsite.com might be able to help you.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 2wd 3500HD Chevy Dump. Its a 99 and its the HD with the 19.5'' tires. I have a 9 foot Fisher and plow city streets. It plows just fine, I do have a set of tire chains as "insurance" in the toolbox but haven't yet needed them. I do however, put about 2-3 tons of material in the back of the truck depending on what kind of storm it is. Plowing driveways with a 2wd truck probably would be a problem, especially hilly driveways, but flat parking lots and flat roadways would be just fine. What kind of truck are you trying to plow in?
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

98 5.7l 2wd chevy c3500 1 ton dump pushing a blizzard 810 power plow.

we run 235/85/r16 bfg all terrains in the back along with about 2K lbs of 57 gravel up against the tailgate with a custom made bulkhead out of some heavy timbers.

it does great.
  6. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have just been looking around for a 1 ton dump and find a lot of 2wd ones. I have some people who tell me they plow with 2wd but I wasn't sure about that. Like said above, open flat lots and city streets are probably fine.
  7. blaryslawn

blaryslawn LawnSite Member

The drw 1 tons with the dump bed have quite a bit of weight on the rear and if you add more weight whether it be salt gravel etc... you shouldnt have a problem especially in flat open areas... I had a chevy 2500 2wd with an 8' western on it and used it last season. in open areas that are for the most part flat... it did alright. But i will tell you, that truck wasnt worth a S@#t once the snow accumulated up to 6+ inches. and that was with about 2500lbs in the bed. But it was a single rear wheel and a lot less weight than a dump... I think I heard that the city of NY uses 1 ton dumps to plow city streets and they are all 2wd. and they get good accumulations... I see alot of 2wd 1 ton dumps around and see plenty of people pushing with them
  8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

we got 5 or 6 one ton 2wd dump or flat bed trucks at work that they plow with but they do all get sanders on the back of them too , they plow just fine