Plowing with 6.0L diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by earthmover, Dec 12, 2005.

1. earthmover

earthmover LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Guys I have a 2006 F-350 C/C shortbed 4x4 and want to put a plow on it. That being said, I don't have the Factory Snow plow prep pkg. A dealer I spoke to said they don't reccomend putting a plow on it and If I did anyway It would VOID MY WARRANTY:angry: Is this true?Anyone ever dealt with this?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Take it to the dealer and tell them to put the pakage on, that way your bases are covered. That is stupid for these manufaturers to build heavy duty diesel trucks, and then tell you you can't put a plow on unless you have skid plates, and dual batteries!

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get it from the dealer if you dont' have the plow prep package.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Prolly gonna need stiffer springs in the front...

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

And these days the dealer has to prove that the part actually caused harm to the vehicle and that it voided the warranty.

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

My 250 had no "snow prep" package and no dual battery. I bought my plow from a fisher dealer and they put it on for me. Not really sure what a snow prep is for a truck besides two batteries, and a trans radiator. I have been plowing for three years with one battery and no trans. radiator.

7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Plow prep consist of stiffer front spring, higher output alternator...I think thats it, my 2005 F350 C/C shortbed plows fine, its the diesel that adds so much weight on the front but good lord if you can plow with a F350 they should take the truck back:eek:

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Its most likely the fact that it doesnt have heavier springs. Put a plow on it and watch the front end drop because the diesel is probably close to its max on those springs as it is.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Won't plowing pretty much destroy a new truck?

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

"Won't plowing pretty much destroy a new truck?"

Plowing is hellacious on anything other than tractors, wheel loaders and graders. We used to take a molded piece of concrete and drop it on the fifth wheel of a couple Mack B, MB, and MR series tractors and push all night with them and they did OK, but there is something about the white schmidt that takes life away from vehicles.

Sure everyone uses pick up trucks, you have to. I can remember many nights in a 1947 Jeep CJ-2A with manual angle and arm strong steering. I don't know what was worse, the 1948 933 Cat wheel loader with the hand clutch or the Jeep of the B series Macks with armstrong steering and quadraplex trannies.....
    Between the salt, and the spinning tires then hooking up on a dry spot, and slamming curbs all night, trucks get the crap knocked out of them alot quicker than if the just drove or pulled trailers..