plowing with a blazer

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by crew, Jun 23, 2000.

1. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Please see post in chevy truck forum if you have any experiences or thoughts on plowing with a k5 blazer. Thanks.

2. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Blazers are excellent plow vehicles. I haven't owned one (ya, so why do I say that?), but we have used many straight-axle Chev pickups. The parts are the same, lots of availability of parts, and (my reason) they turn much tighter than a P/U. The only two downsides are rear visibility and the 1/2 front end limits you to probably no bigger than a 7&1/2' vee plow or a 8 foot straight. Plow on.<p>----------<br>John<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

My first plow truck was a K-5 blazer. It was great, very manuverable and great traction.<br>I agree that a 7.5 is the limit for plow width. The nice thing is that it has the exact drivtrain as a 1/2 ton p/u and alot less axel weight so it will handle the plow fine. I would put at least #500-750 of counter weight in the rear, and that helped alot.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a '79 K-5 when I started and it was great until the heater fan caught fire during Blizzard of '96. When I finally got dug out and able to get to a dealer the only truck around with a plow ready to go was a full size '93 Blazer with 7.5 Meyers. Love that truck even more. The best part is the turning radius. It's amazing how you can plow those really tight spots and visibility is great. I definitely load the back with a lot of weight, buy the best tires I can afford, beefed up the front suspension and added wings and move a whole lot of snow efficiently. I usually move 1.5 - 2 times the snow that my other 2 less manuverable trucks can with the same size plows. Needless to say, I love my Blazer!