Plowing with a box van

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by 66Construction, Mar 30, 2001.

1. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever plowed with a box van? I have the oportunity to buy a 91 chevy with a 14' body, dually, around 11,000gvw 2wd It will carry about 4000 lbs of equipment year round, I figured this would provide enough traction. Price is too good to pass up, 0verall length is about the same as a 3500 dump with a 10' dump body or a club cab long bed pickup. I currently use a trailer to keep all the framing equipment in and leave it on site, I'd much rather use this van it will carry more and is more secure overnight. Other then seeing around the box when backing up does anyone see any other downfall to plowing with this. Can I even put a plow on it, I assumed with the gvw it would take a 9' fisher but I haven't looked into it yet. We don't build when it's snowing so the truck would always be available to plow. Any feedback is appreciated!
    Casey

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Casey - one of the reasons I decided to go and put a plow on my 2wd dually (as opposed to shelling out $$$ for another truck) was seeing pretty much the setup you describe here in town. It's an older F-SuperDuty box van 2wd, about a 12' or 14' box on it. It carries a straight blade which I think is a Western (8.5, possibly 9 - I've seen it countless times but never had any reason to check it out closely) and they use it to keep their own lot clear. Seems to work OK for them - they've had it for years.

Obviously, this wouldn't make a good driveway truck but parking lots it should do fine on. Having to rely solely on mirrors to back up doesn't sound like too big a problem either - I have to do that driving the welding truck 5-6 days a week anyway!

Speaking of welding, I don't know if a mount kit is available to bolt up to the truck you describe but even if it's not, mounts are no problem for a competent welder to fab up.

3. Doc L.

Doc L. LawnSite Member

I'm almost sure that an E350 van and a F350 pickup share the same frame. At least I think the older ones did, (I'm talking late 70's?). I know a guy around here that runs an older one (E350) with a Western plow. I think he told me that he just pulled his frame off an F250 and put it on his van. Whether there was lots of fabrication involved I don't know. I know it can be done though and with the weight of the box you don't have to load it up with lots of crap for traction. I can't say for certain about a Chevy being the same scenario but I'd almost guess they'd be built the same way (sharing frames). I think Dino or somebody on here has a brother that works at one of the assembly plants. Maybe they'd know for sure. I'd look around for an old camper, that way you'd never have to go home.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

GM does not use the same frames on the trucks and vans, in fact the van frame in more of a unibody type construction.
    Also the front axel weight on vans are alot lower than trucks, so that would be a concern of mine as well. I feel a frame would have to be fabricated to mount on that van. Perhaps snowway may have a light weight plow for that application.
    Dino

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dino is right about the frame-they do not have the same frame construction as the pickups,and more than likely re not as strong.The front end of a van already has a lot of weight on it with the cab,and engine being right over the front axle.I know you could do it,but I doubt anyone makes a frame for it,probably have to adapt a truck frame.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

There is a guy around here that plows with a 4x4 van. I think that it is an used Fed Ex van. He has a Fisher plow on it. I will have to ask him about it.

7. dsr

dsr LawnSite Member

Casey i'm from the same area you are.One of the local school districts use that same setup.They use a meyer's plow. joe

8. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. The new vans have a 4300 lb front axel. I'm not sure what the 91 has. I'll definitly have to talk to the fisher people about what size blade to put on it. I didn't even think about having to fabricate the mount. How would I go about that, make an entirely custom mount or just extend the frame inward enough to mount fishers frame?

Dino
    It amazes me how well you know GM!

9. MOE

MOE honorary addict

A few years ago I almost bought a 86 army ambulance, a regular ford van that had an aftermarket 4x4. The guy said it plowed great but the rear visibility was an issue for me because I plow stores during the day with customers pulling out right behind me while I'm backing up. With the beep beep and the strobe I sometimes wonder if they are both blind and deaf!

Moe

10. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Casey - can't be too sure without actually looking at it, but I would be inclined to leave the van frame alone and modify the mount as required to bolt on.

Just a thought here: I have a plow on my 2wd C-35, which has a similar front end setup with A-arms & coil springs. I was able to run braces under the front suspension crossmember back to another crosser I bolted to the frame where it levels out to run straight again. This adds strength to the mount and takes a lot of the stress off the end of the frame. It will involve custom fabbing also.

Keep us posted on your decision/progress!