Plowing With Chevy 3500 HD 2WD

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 26, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking a buying a new, used, truck. I think I will go with a Chevy 3500 HD with a dump on the back. These are the trucks that have the solid front axel's. The trucks only come in 2WD, so how would it do for plowing snow. I have herd people say that when they plow that they hardly even use 4WD in bigger Dully's, but I was just wanting some opinions. I am from Indiana and we rarely get more than 8 inch at a time.

2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're going to plow with it, put some weight in the rear.

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

...a LOT of weight.

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

A v-box spreader, and on-spot chains will do the trick.

Geoff

5. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

If your gonna do highway plowing it will be fine a freind of mine plows the state roads here and he had a 1ton 4x4 but had the 4x4 shaft diconected and he never had a problem .If your doing small lots or hills then it would not be very cost efective for plowing for you.

6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I've talked to a person who plows a parking lot (approx. 300,000 sq. ft) with a 3500 HD dump. The lot is on a slight hill and he has nothing in the back. He says it works fine.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

RB -

How much snow in that lot ?

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I doubt you'd have a problem,put 3 or 4 tons in the rear most part of the box,and do not push to far in parking lots that have drop offs-or you'll need a tow to get out.Those 3500HD's have nice 19.5's and 15K GVWR,so they are great for carrying v-boxes.

9. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

We have an F350 4x4 dump, we rarely use the 4wd, except for short pushes(25 ft or less) with alot of snow(backdraged from drives in association)in parking lots truck is fine up to about 6-8 inches depending on weight. I know the truck weighs around 8,000 lbs without plow, has diesel which add extra weight, but was a single rear wheel , I bought it with the duells & dump on it, didn't realize it was converted, but I figure the dump body weighs around 2000lbs.
    Had weight in it first season, aside from slowing down truck(with weight), I can't see a difference

10. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

Our oldest truck in our fleet is a 1978 Ford F-350 2wd with a 10' flatbed, 3 yd sander, 9' Fisher plow. It just does commerical accounts, no residental. Its great!