Plowing with Crew Cab

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by River Hill, Oct 5, 2000.

1. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys plow with a Crew Cab? I just heard from my Ford dealer, Ford will not let me put a plow on a F350 crew cab with diesel. I need a Crew cab truck, but just want to do a little plowing with it. I have 3 parking lots of about 250,000 square feet total. I am in the mid-atlantic region so we don't get alot of snow but we can get some large storms. I have heard it is real tough to get around with a Crew cab, how bad is it? I will only be plowing when the lots are empty. I plan on doing some sub work for a friend and he will be paying me $95.00 an hour, so it seems like I could make some good money.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you need a crew cab? Why are you considering a new vehicle? Thats an awful lot of money to spend just to plow a little !

Have you driven a crew cab before? They aren't as easy to manuever as a regular cab.

My suggestion to you would be consider a older truck (Chevy) at least 3/4 ton, regular cab if you are just helping out a friend.

If you don't have a real need for seating 6 people, and alone require additional storage space in the cab, may I suggest you consider a extended cab.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I could be mistaken here, but from what I understand, it's the trucks wheelbase that prevents putting a plow on it. I don't think it's Ford, but rather DOT that won't allow it. I had a friend who put one on an old Ford crew cab, but it was a site truck, never plowed roads. Check you local laws. The easiest way, is to call local plow dealers and ask them. If they say "no go" on a crew cab installation, ask them why.
    The same goes for Ford, Dodge, and Chevy. From what I gather, it's only the crew cabs with an 8ft bed that can't have the plow.

On a "crew cab" note, I saw a funny looking truck the other day. It was a Ford Explorer. What was funny is, IT WAS a crew cab! It looked like a normal 4 door Ford Explorer, except it had a tiny little "bed". The cab ended behind the rear doors. The bed was maybe 4' x 4'. I think it was more of a "looks" thing, than serving any useful purpose.

IMO it looked really stupid, but to each his / her own!

~Chuck

[Edited by ChucksChevyPages on 10-05-2000 at 01:04 PM]

4. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're not supposed to put a plow on an extended cab either? Not sure if this comes from Chevy/Ford/Dodge or the DOT. Anybody know?

5. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

well no matter who it was, either the manufacturers or the DOT, I have seen quite a few extended cabs with plows.

haven't seen too many crewcabs, although some municipalities are using more them now a days. haven't seen may with plows though

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Ford really doesn't like the idea of putting a plow on a diesel truck due the the large amount to weight the diesel inherently adds (I think 400-500 pounds). Now you add a crew cab to a diesel truck (which puts more weight up front), and that front axle is carrying alot of weight. A plow could put you over the fornt axle weight limit.

Eric

7. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

It is the weight of the front axle (FAWR) that limits the plow use. Fords and Dodges with the diesels could not be had with a plow pkg, especially ext cabs, until the past couple of years. Since 2K the Dodges have raised the FAWR to 5200lbs, allowing plow pkg's. I believe Ford is the same.

I have an 01 Dodge 2500 SB xcab diesel with the plow pkg. It has the 5200lbs front axle. The owners manual states that the weight of the plow assy should NOT exceed ~600lbs(ya right), AND no more than 2 people in the truck. Obviously this is for weight reasons. Not sure about the FORD CCabs, I think Geoff might know more....

Dave

8. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Here is the deal with Ford. The do not offer a plow package on their diesel ext. cab or crew cab. The springs are rated at 5200 lbs. They said if I install a plow it would void the waranty. I think the truck would handle it but I would not want my waranty voided.

9. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

. . . all the more reason to plow w/ an older truck

10. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am not sure on the F 250s and F 350s crew cabs. However my Crew Cabs are F 550, they don't plow only they can plow with out any problem. My Ford dealer tells me, that if its a super duty, any cab, and engine, we will warrenty it as a plow truck. The F 350 Cab and Chassis Crew Cab, may be allowed for plowing.

Geoff