Plowing with small trucks or jeeps

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a 350 ford with 8 foot blade and would like to get another pusher but I'm thinking about a small 4by4 like a s10 / ranger / toyota. Maybe even a jeep? let me know what you think. Hate to waist money on something that won't work. I would like for it to be a helper truck. Like pushing Dairy Marts, driveways whatever. Please help

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I plow with an S10,and I used to plow with a Toyota LAndcruiser,both do an excellent job,considering their size.I think the S10 is the best pushing small truck on the market,especailly the 88-93 4.3V6 's with automatic trans.Ijust bought a 95 S10 Blazer to plow with as mainly a backup truck,but I know Ill come to use it more after the first big storm when the calls start rolling in.

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

I had the same thought about 3 months ago, but I decided for what I was going to need a pick up would be better.
    However in my searching i did find sevral setups i liked.
    As far as how they work, I have no first hand experiance but i can tell you that in my area the local school department has a ranger with a plow, and I know of 2 companys that use jeeps. One cherokee sport and one a wrangler.
    I can also tell you i think my cherokee with the 5spd and the 6cyl would make a great small plowing rig. Mine has a good turning radius, without tinted windows theres great visability, and mine has been very reliable. it may not plow but we take it wheelin, so it sees some pretty heavy use.
    lastly I can tell you that should i need to in the future i wouldn't hesitate to put a 6.5' plow on mine
    I hope this will help, good luck, let us know what you decide to go with.
    matt

4. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have had two jeeps with plows,they work fine but can be a repair problem because the drivetrains are a little light for plowing

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

We have a 99 ranger that we plow with, and it is great for tight areas and sidewalks. I had to use it last weekwhile my truck was in for repairs. I didnt have size with the 6'9" blade, but at least it was quick. And with the tailgate spreader, it got me through.
    Dino

6. Alan

Alan Member

Two S-10s with 8' Sno-Way blades here. One is an 88, the other a 91. Both are 4.3L, automatic and 3.40something axles. Not the perfect plow rig, as they get a bit cramped after many hours in the saddle, but they work fine.

According to the forecasts we may actually get to use them tomorrow.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we've had a s-10 with a plow and it worked great. we then got a jeep too when we replaced the truck. we put a western on it. one year we got over 180 inches and it performed great. its always good when you can go up a driveway and turn around at the top and drive back down.

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I was thinking the same thing. How big of plows do you guys put on them? I have a 8' on my 99 Ram and I saw someone had an 8' on a s-10. That seems like it would bog it down if we had a lot of snow.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Was watching CNN today and they were showing all the snow up north. The plows were out there too. They showed one snow covered lot and a guy actually plowing it with a Lazer mower with a blade sticking a few feet out front

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldnt go any bigger than 7' on a little truck,if you ever get in a heavy wet storm with an 8 or 7 1/2' you wont even be able to push.With real wet snow my S10 feels OK with a 6 1/2.I wouldnt want any bigger for wet snow over 4".