1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plowing with two wheel drive?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by crew, Dec 4, 2000.

1. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a dumper and see lots of two wheel drives with plows.What are the limits to plowing effectively with a two wheel drive truck? Is it snow depth that puts you past the critical mark? Can enough weight in the bed make the lack of four wheel drive enough to get through anything?
    The 4x2's are so much cheaper and and have fewer things for employees to break - seems too good to be true.

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You will need weight, and very agressive snow tread. On spot chains are a very good idea, or at the very least regular tire chains for deep snow and ice. The real limiting factor is hills. 2wd on hills doesnt work, keep the 2 wd trucks in parking lots.
  3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok Plowing with 2 wd.

Depends on what you are trying to plow. Plowing lots and roads can be accomplished with 2wd, however driveways are not as easy.

It also depends on the truck you will be plowing with. A F 750, will plow better than a 2wd F 350 or F 550, just because the truck weighs more.

The other factor is the type of area you live in. If you live in a a "flat" area, 2wd will work much better than in a hilly area.

A good thing to add to any plow truck is a set of on-spot tire changes. The disadvantage to onspots is the must be engaged when you start plowing, because they have to be engaged when you are moving at no more than 5 MPH. Also if you plan on useing on spots for over the road travel, the speed of the truck can not exceed 25 MPH.

A v-box spreader, or some other sort of weight is also a good adition.

I will give you two ideas for 2wd plow trucks. I don't know what size truck you want so, I am just taking a guess.

Ford F 450 or GM 3500 HD

Ford F 650/750 or International 4700/4900.

I wouldn't attempt to plow with a 2wd pick up, there just isn't enough curb weight to the truck. I would want at least a 15K gvw for a 2wd plow truck.

4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I want no bigger than a one ton so i guess it 4x4.
  5. ICky

ICky LawnSite Member

Plowing in 2wd....

Ok been lurking around the forum for awhile but feel I must respond to this subject.

I plow with a 1980 chev c20 (modified)

It can be done! Hills are no problem. Just be sure you plow downhill *grin* Uphill forget it.

cambered corners .... be very careful

stacking snow .... careful you don't hang up the front end or you will be there for quite some time.

But all things considered, with enough weight and low tire pressure and some reason and caution the ride is not that bad.

I did put a powertrax unit in the rear this year and look forward to plowing with it. (not enough snow to worry about yet this year but its snowing as I type)

I would not be hesitant to advise you to try plowing with a 2wd if you have access to a cheap solid truck, but remember weight counts.

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I think before you buy a 1 ton, look at two sized trucks.

The "15,000" GVWs GM 3500 HD's and Ford F 450. These trucks with enough weight added and chains, it will plow fine. They are also a better choice for work trucks because of their higher payload, if you want to carry a v-box with a full load, these trucks are a better platform.

The other size:

The Ford F 650 and International 4700, trucks with GVWs in the area of 26,000 just under CDL requirements.

Now these trucks are true mid sized trucks, that are heavy duty. They have a high curb weight, and when you add the body, and possibly the 5 yard sander, you will be able to plow any lot with ease.

Again these trucks are larger and heavier, and have high maintmance cost. However they are very economicly priced work trucks. They have a much greater work truck capability.

Price wise you will be suprised at the cost of a Ford F 650. You can find F 650s with the cat 3126 B engine, and 6 or 7 speed trans, 10 or 12' frame lenght, xl package, for under 34K. Now upfitting will cost a little more than a 1 ton sized truck, however you will have a heavy duty long lasting work truck.

Do youself a favor, look at all the options before ya buy. The last thing you want is to buy something and find out a year later it isn't what you really want.

So price and look at 4X4 1-tons, 15,000 and 18,000 GVW 1 ton sized trucks, and look at true medium duty work trucks with the 26000 GVW range.

7. mowing king

mowing king LawnSite Member
    from ct

if you have the skills two wheel drive is better, i plow with 2wd for years. I drive and plow on Very steep hills. but like i said you gotta have the skills . 4wd works great most newer plow guys should use 4wd. I have 3 2wd trucks and plowed the big years. the 2 4wd trucks are good but a true talent really will not need it.
  8. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Let me guess you hunt with a wood club too.I have been plowing a long time and have used many two wheel drive trucks but I sure wouldn't be stupid enough to choose one over a 4x4 if I had the choice.I you are plowing on hills with a two wheel drive you better have plenty of weight and if its icy chains or a really good run for it are a must.There have been times in a two ton dump loaded with sand where I have gotten a properly weighted 4x4 pickup and pull the dump out of being stuck on a small incline, so if you really have experience you will get a 4x4.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Digger you can reply with a different opinion, but dont put the person down in the process. The writer of that post about 2wd trucks is a friend of mine(mowking) and is a very sharp individual. He has the largest lawn main/ landscape company in oyr area and has grown it that large in a very tough market. He owned the 2wd trucks and started plowing with them as well. He does own 1 4x4 but he has never had a problem with the 2wd, may be that our climate is more condusive to a 2wd truck, or he has been lucky. He certainly doesnt use 2 wd because he is cheap, he uses top of the line equip., and isnt afraid to spend the money for it. So please watch the personal attacks.
  10. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't interpret it as a personal attack. But, it is kind of an ignorant statement to say that a "true talent really will not need" 4WD.

In my market, a guy plowing with at 2WD truck works for the State or the City. And rocket scientist's they aren't.