plows and spreaders?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by columbiaplower, Feb 16, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i plow mostly residential and small lots (churches, stores, offices,)I want to know what the best plow and spreader for me. I have a meyers 7footer(old, too small)and spread with a push spreader (works my butt off on the lots)I want to keep my 94 ford f-250 though<br>thanks Nick

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok i have 14 Ford trucks. I also have a 93 F 250, 95 F 250 97 F 250, so i know your truck very well. This is what you want, know i know everyone else i going to say something different. You want an 8.5' diamond pull away plow. Yes, 8.5' if you drive a ford you know the turning radius and 8' isn't big enough. An 8.5' is the perfect size for that truck, and Diamond is the only company that i know of that makes an 8.5. Then get a Diamond 1.8 or 2.0 yard sander and call it good. That truck will take a 2 yards spreader with no problem. <p>Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I a gree with Goeff for the most part,but the Diamond plow is not a quick-mount and requires you to open hydraulic couplers every time you mount and it's a pain to put pins way under the truck.In this day and age this is not cool,+the frame stays there all year and rusts in place.Even if you remove it the lower part stays and reduces ground clearance by enough to make getting to a treestand a chore.The blade is great though.Keep this in mind,a 2yd spreader average is 900 lbs,2yds of sand,5000+ lbs,your truck,5500lbs,a diamond plow 850+lbs,you+tools.That's about 13000 lbs for a 8800GVWR truck.How do you figure that this truck can handle this Geoff?The truck is 40%+ overweight.I think 25% is about the safe limit for these.My E-rated tires are good for 3042 apiece.You need at the minimum better tires or a dually,at least 2 extra leaves in the spring pack,then you still have to stop somehow.Go slow,be careful,or dont fill spreader(yeah right) John DiMartino<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Well john, guys run 1.8 and 2 yard sanders in 8600 gvw trucks all the time in Maine, i am not saying it's correct but it can be done. Better check out Diamonds web site again, because you can remove the lift frame from the truck, and it's very easy to do. I can attach a Diamond faster than a fisher minute mount but thats another story. Also if you can't undo a few hydrolic couplers then you probably shouldn't be plowing snow. Oh yea the pins are spring loaded, i have never had to lay on the ground to put them in.<p>Geoff<p>

5. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

John,<p>After hearing/reading about problems with electrical couplers, I'd rather be unplugging my hydraulics. The corrosion is not as much an issue on them. The electrics require high current, thus they have to be 'good' connections. I still use the old style Fisher, and can hook it up in under 5 minutes(lots of practice!).<p>The ? about the GVW overload I agree with. I know the trucks will carry this....but the liabilty if you ever caused an accident? Not saying we all haven't been there at some point in time. <p>Dave

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Ok he said he wanted to keep his Ford F 250. So from a gvw stand point there isn't much he can do. Maybe he can add extra leafs in the springs, i would do all four springs if it was me. Only then the truck is going to ride like a tank, so thats his decision.<p>I don't think a tailgate spreader is very effective spreading sand. So the only way to go is a v-box unit to spread sand and salt. So yes the truck is going to be overloaded, but he doesn't want to get a new truck. So what do you suggest he do, yes he can use a tailgate spreader. Only with a tailgate getting out to re load the sand/salt gets old fast, plus they don't spread sand and salt very well.<p>Yea the trucks overloaded, but there isn't really any other way out.<p>Geoff

7. lawnman

lawnman LawnSite Member

I would go with a 1.5 yd sander and tibrens loadsprings in back.<p>----------<br>spreble<br>

8. John DiMartino

I have a small 1 yd v-box that only weighs 380 lbs empty.I do wish it were a little bigger,but it really pushes the limits of my 2500 LD when I heap it,and if it were bigger I couldn't help but fill it.As for the connectors,I have been plowing for 14 years,with many Meyers,Fishers and Westerns,and 2 Boss v's.I switched to Fisher MMount in 1993 and I still have the same plow+2 more and none of them have ever had any electrical problems to speak of.If you do keep dielectric compound in them and empty the water from the covers before you put them on I believe they will last as long as your hyd. couplers.If you are the type to neglect equipment,and expect it to work with green corrosion on the plugs,then you'd be better off with a coupler.I remember well the days of the frozen couplers and heating them,banging them to get them on.Then the fliud that you leak every time you put one on and off.A sealed system will last longer and you guys risk contaminating your system every time you hook up.My memories of them,and weak Meyer blades are not good,I guess that is why I dont want them anymore.I truely wish my setups had Diamond blades,they are curved nice and the center pivot is very strong,but I love my minute mounts and stand by them,they 've never once let me down.(Knock on wood).Everyone,drive safe and make lot of money on this storm coming from the west tommorrow.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

9. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

John,<p>You are right about the couplers freezing. Had to use the torch again tonight to connect up. Guess I'm used to it,doesn't take long...but would be nice to not have to.<p>Dave

10. John DiMartino

Dave,In my opinion,couplers bite.I hooked all 3 fishers up tonight without even getting my hands dirty in under 10 minutes,inc moving cars around and cleaning out trucks for storm.<p>----------<br>John D<br>