1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Plows How do you store them?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by GeoffDiamond, Apr 11, 2001.

1. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

How and where do you guys store your plows and v-boxes?

Just wondering what everyone else is doing, seeing I am just taking mine off.

2. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

Well my plow i put some plywood down and let the blad sit on that.The out front pump i put up in the barn and for my little sander leave it out along side the barn.
  3. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

After I give my plow the "spring treatment" (First I remove the angle cylinders, snow deflector & blade guides - gotta like stainless fasteners! - and then check it all over for any cracks/damage etc & repair as necessary, followed by clean & paint) it goes outside for the summer. (I use the wrecker that I fabbed up for my truck to take the grunt work out of moving the plow around)

To make it a little harder to steal, I set the plow right up against the shop wall & make sure I always have something parked right in front of it - between the friend I share the shop with & myself, there is always at least 1 project truck available for this purpose!

Come the fall, it's a simple matter of bolting/pinning the parts back on & the plow is ready for use.
  4. Guest

The v-box sanders we are able to store inside stacked on top of each other. We take the spinner and chute off one and put that on the floor of the shop and then stack the other sander on top of that one. The plows we line up in a row at one corner of the shop, and the big sander we keep out side. This all takes up one corner of the shop, but it is well worth it having everything inside. Just My two cents
  5. 75

SLC1 - You're right, keeping stuff inside IS well worth it when possible. Someday when I have my own place (as in "own" not "rent"!) I hope to have enough space to do the same thing. Of course, knowing me and my pack-rat tendencies, I might end up with the plow outside anyway!
  6. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

We store our plows outside along a fence, since there is no other place for them. The plow pumps stay on the trucks, with the arm raised, keeping the fluid in the cylinder and allowing less rust to build up.

We put the sander on some pallets, since it does not have a removable chute. Last year, everything rusted and seized as a result of poor care...This year once we service it correctly, we are going to shrink wrap it, with the help of a friend, who has the stuff that they wrap boats with. This will keep it out of the elements until the winter.
  7. 75

bam - I hate rust! :mad:

Just wondering about a couple of things: I've always left my lift cylinder down when not in use to protect the ram from the elements (in winter, salt and in the off season, sand & road grit - the same stuff that "sandblasts" windshields!) - hadn't thought about INSIDE the cylinder though.

The shrink wrap idea sounds like a good one - I'm just thinking that you may want to lube the sander up beforehand and not seal things up t-o-o tight since that could cause condensation (ie: moisture!) to build up and cause that hated :mad: rust again!

8. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

I change the fluid and check the plows for cracks and damage, and do any repairs before they are put out to pasture. The V.s are stored that way on a couple of 2x4's to keep them off the ground, and the hinges are sprayed with Castrol chain lube ( it goes on thin and penetrates but thickens and is water proof) I also give any of the pins a good coating, put a trap over them and wait for snow. My spreader gets pressure washed, and paint and any chips repaired, the bearings greased, and stored in the yard. But Geoff don't you live in Maine? I've plowed here in Nova Scotia on May 5th, and this year who knows when it will stop. I don't put all my snow stuff away till May.

9. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

We too aren't ready to fully store the vees. When we do, they get a pressure wash, oil on the spring threads, light threads and a grease job. I make a mental note of any damage to be fixed at the time of the pre-season service in the fall, particularly welding.

They get stored in a carport adjacent to the shop, off the floor on 2x4's.

Bill's right: Castrol spray chain lube is great stuff - try it in your door locks and ignition switches - works better in salty conditions than anything else I've tried. They should not freeze either because water will not displace the grease.
  10. Mike Williams

Mike Williams LawnSite Member

I won't set anything on wood. It holds moisture and will cause rust. I lived in Washington and if it can rust it will there. Come stores have plastic forklift pallets. Great for keeping things off the ground & I've found them to be cheep or free at the right place.
    I would NOT seal anything up in that boat wrap. Like others said the condensation with the summer hear will ruin things rust would never have got to other wise.
    Repair now, grease, oil, ect.. COVER (indoors or out) and be ready for next season.
    It snowed 3 1/2" last night. I'll be waiting awile before I do anything but Plow the white stuff.
    Mike in IDAHO