Pls help novice in Orlando w/ St Augustine and sedge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cegroves, Feb 16, 2008.

1. cegroves

cegroves LawnSite Member

the lawn is established, but has sedge esp. green kyl (sp?) ... Scotts Bonus S first, or apply something like Image first? Thanks.

2. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

sedgehammer works good

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

sedgehammer will work fine but you might want to try Dismiss, it's an FMC product and has a much broader label.

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

if you use dimiss go with the low rate for bahia

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I did extensive tests on green kylinga last year. Used several products and methods. Sedgehammer will does a good job at a reasonable price and has to be used within 4 hours of mixing. BUT by far, Dismiss was the best overall in terms of the number of applications to control yellow and purple sedge and green kylinga. Get it while it is young and tender. Dismiss is very expensive but it does work.
    Image takes mulitple applications. Warning: Do not use on dormant grass.

Roy

6. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Try Certinty Works better than Dismiss in my opion.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

Certainty works great and is in the same chemical family as Sledge Hammer. But a word of caution about the mixed life of both Sledge Hammer and Certainty. When mixed in a lower pH water they only have a short life. However in a higher pH they will last for days on end. I add baking soda to my tank mix to bring in to 9.5 pH before adding the Certainty.

8. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Good to know Ric I have not heard that. With the price my guys only mix what isneeded for that job so product sitting has not yet been a factor. I will try the B soada

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

Sledge Hammer only has about a 4 hour half life in a low pH solution. But in an alkaline solution it will last for days.