1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plug-N-Poop Package, doing it right now

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by adam.neusbaum, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

You're Lucky Adam, we still have a good amount of snow up here in Northern IL.

But I'll be ready....still have the truck, dump trailer, and Ecolawn 200 in storage!!! :cool2:

2. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes....what is typically the demographics of your compost top dressing client base...?

Only ones that do that here is one of the bark blowing companies. Pretty tough to compete with them since they buy the Eco compost in mass.

3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are retirees that maintained 2-5 acres before downsizing & figure they ought to have the nicest 1/5 acre on the block.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Rick13

My customer's are people who have yards that dried up/or have sod web worms....which comes from the drought.....and now they want their yards reseeded.

It's just teaching people/customer's that their are different ways of maintaining a nice yard....and it can be done with reseeding, core aeration, organic compost spreading in the Spring and Fall. You spot spray weeds...but in year or two...you can help them turn their yard into a "mature yard" that still needs a little care...but doesn't need a 5 to 7 program to look good!

And oh yeah....it's good for the Earth too!

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Ric 13,

I see you are really going to town on the topdressing drill. More power to you.
    :weightlifter:

In my own situation I find it strange that the only client I know of who has paid to have his lawn top dressed via a bark blowing truck for $800-$1,000.... also is prone to shutting off his irrigation early in late Autumn when he becomes disgusted with mowing or dealing with his lawn on any level. He rarely ever does the Fall fertilizer application either. Hey but every Spring he's got bells on full throttle enthusiasm for his lawn. Hires a hack Co. to low ball dethatch low mow....all sorts of crazy stuff. Think he's got another top dressing lined up already. I think I have him convinced to leave the aeration plugs on his lawn this time.
    :)

Almost forgot to ask....when top dressing in the Fall are you putting down additional supplemental Nitrogen to feed the lawn prior to dormancy. The 2/3+ plus rule of Nitrogen for Fall applications....?

Posted via Mobile Device

6. Rick13

Not usually putting anything else down with the organic compost to increase Nitrogen. I know there's different levels of compost. The compost I get is lab tested and very good....so I've never had a problem. I guess I could always add Milorganite Organic Nitrogen Fertilizer...but I don't see why I would want to increase growth when Winter would be near?

The organic compost is slow release of Nitrogen. It won't green up your yard over nite....but green it up in a slow, healthy, and safe way.

Never thought of it.....but I guess I could always ask the customer's if they want it.

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The Fall "when Winter would be near", promotes roots and storage, not the typical response from Spring nitrogen application...

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-disease-updates/benefits-late-fall-fertilization

Fall N application,,, is STILL the most important for cool-season grasses... :)

8. adam.neusbaum

A friend of mine took the time to make this hinging engine shield to keep the carbeurator's linkage & fuel tank clear of material.

2013-04-19_15-26-11_2.jpg

9. Rick13

Thanks Smallaxe....I've got something I can offer and show My Customers on why this would be good for their lawns. Thanks for the info!!!!

Hi Adam.....that's a good idea....usually my shoveling doesn't have that problem...but I might come up with something to protect mine too. Thanks for another good idea!!!!

10. adam.neusbaum

I really appreciate the innovation of this conveyor unit. Compost is a tricky material to move sometimes. I was surprised at the bridging issues even though it's so dry. Seems like gravity feed wagons work best with granularized or pelletized materials. Maybe he just needs a Vibco vibrator for a quick buzz & shake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJkNucxq5o&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Posted via Mobile Device