1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

plug/spike aeration.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Jul 19, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

why would you use spike aeration over plug and visa versa.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

pulling plugs is the preferred method because it actually aerates and removes the soil. spike aeration just pokes a hole and really compresses the dirt around the hole which defeats the purpose.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Couldn't of said it better myself. DO NOT buy a spiker....so called aerator...get the real deal.
  4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

only use a plugger on your accounts. Spikers are simply long term soil compactors. Don't be fooled!
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

why do they even sell spike aerators then?

i'm definatly thinking about getting a plug aerator. any good brands you could recommend?
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

You want a Ryan core aerator with a heavy center most are cast iron. This way you can pull plugs if the ground is dry in the fall.
  7. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh boy here we go everyone is going to chime in and tell you that this aerator is the best thing since sliced bread . The truth is there are a lot of good aerators and some poor ones out there. My advice DEMO DEMO DEMO until you find the one that suits your needs.
  8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a few to test, Home Depo had a bluebird which was absolutley terrible, mom and pop rental had an old Ryan which was way way better. I can't believe that one could be that much harder to use than the other.
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented the Blue bird @ the depot as well... I lined up a few customers for areation.. I gotta say that machine will wear you out in a hurry.. I hate it. Is the Ryan a "rotary" areator as well??? Or does it stab the coreing tools in &out in a reciprocating motion?

What's the most productive machine for the dollar? I've heard several here say the Lesco 48" pull behind works good.. I'd sure like to hear comments from those that have used a variety of machines..
  10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you own a Walker and are going to do some serous aerating check out
    The PERFAERATOR™ - Front-Mounted Aerator from Walker