plugging / airating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HandyHaver, Apr 27, 2003.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I'm a visitor from plowsite and would like some prof. opinions on airating/plugging.

I was going to rent a plugging machine for my lawn. For the most part it looks pretty good so far this year with the exceptions of some areas that need seeding.

Is this the best time of year to plug a lawn?? Should this be done when the ground is wet. Is seeding after plugging the way to go. What are the benefits from plugging? Do you just leave the plugs lay on the lawn to be chopped up the next time you cut it. I can rent a machine at a local home depot. Even though the lawn is looking pretty good so far, is this recomended every year, every few years .....ect Should I wait a few weeks after putting down seed to cut again??

Any insite here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Mark

I live just out side of Phila with a clay base type soil.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Oops. Well quoting your post and answering inbetween didn't work.
    Sorry about that. Hopefully you can decipher my responses in there.

4. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just rented an airator and did my lawn and a few of my customers lawns the other day. (Turning that thing a few hundred times will make a man out of you-it did me.) I can't wait to see if I get any results.:)

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its AERATOR people.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Well I rented one of them "AERATOR" (thanks 65hoss) machines today and went to town. The one I got wasn't a walk behind, it was a run behind. Beat me up pretty good but I got it done & back within the 4 hours. Now I have to seed and start the watering process. Thank you for those of you who replied.

Jonathan, I'm located in Del. county, just outside Philly also.

Simone, yes those machines will give you a workout. Next time I will have to import one of my helpers.

Mark