Plugr 850 and 400 owners

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LegienzaLandscaping, Aug 7, 2007.

1. LegienzaLandscaping

LegienzaLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Im thinking of purchasing a plugr 850 and possibly a 400 to go with it. Ive never operated either machine and would like some input as to whether the 400 would be a good compliment to the 850, for example to trim around obstacles and perimeters, then hit the open areas/hills with the 850. For those of you who have or have operated the 850 and/or 400, would you say this makes sense or are my wasting time and money buying and trimming with the 400. Also on smaller 3-4k sf lawns would it be better to use the 400 alone? Thanks

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I own the pl800 - not the xelf propeled one and I would say you are wasting your money witht he smaller one. I do lots of 3 - 4k lawns with the 800 with no problems -- I actually wish it was about 6 inches wider.

If you are going to buy two -- get two 850's. Then you could really get those yards sone fast.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have the 850. I would not buy a smaller one. It works good on small lawns. I would like a Plugr that came in a three point.

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I had the PL400 and it was just too slow! I would check out the 850 hydro. the plugr did pull tons of plugs but was awful on hills or slopes of any size.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

You speak the truth there. The 850 produces great results in terms of the number of plugs, but it bogs down on slopes and also in turf that is wet or has heavy thatch (Zoysia for example). The hydro is more money but it just might be worth looking into. If most of your lawns are flat it would not be much of a concern.

That said, your production will be greatly improved over the typical Bluebird/Ryan machines. It is a very nice aerator without question.

The results of your aeration jobs will sell more work. People do notice the quantity of plugs on the lawns, which is much different from the typical jobs done in my area.