Plugr aerator vs. Ryan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pops the dog, Aug 18, 2002.

1. pops the dog

pops the dog LawnSite Member
    from Ga

I was wondering from the members experiences, how the Plugr aerators compare to the Ryans? I am either going to purchase a used Ryan IV or a new Plugr PL400. The difference in price will be about 1k so I was wondering if any of the fine folks here could give me first hand accounts of the Plugr. I have used the Ryan in the past, it was not bad. I saw posts about the Plugr and received the literature and it seems like a great machine at a good price. Thanks,

Pops

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Find 65HOSS, he has one and loves it (if my memory is not mistaken).

MATT

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Oh yes HOSS and his Plugr'......I think he takes it to bed with him he's so in love with it...I have a Ryan Lawnaire 28..takes the deepest cores out of hard ground...great machine ...but it is sloowwww...but with the hard ground this year I'm glad I have it...no experience with the Plugr...If I had to do over I would go for more speed and less penetration capacity...as we all know we're selling time

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

:sleeping: Roll over girls :sleeping:
    The twins keep me up nights!

I have 2 and they are really great machines. The cam drives them into the ground without having to add weight. Its pure force. Extremely easy to use so your not beat up by the end of the day. Seed bed preparation would only be beaten by an aeravator. On bare soil it looks like a tiller went thru.

humm...Didn't I see some article in Turf Mag recently on them???

5. pops the dog

from Ga

I had a feeling the Plugr was the ticket from all of the info. I have collected. Guess I will be visiting my nearest distributor this week!

:cool:

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

But why the PL400? Why not the PL600?

7. pops the dog

from Ga

I've got to pinch my pennies for a while longer. That $500 difference makes a difference in my business plan right now. I am sure the 600 is a better machine, but I will have to "suffer" with the 400 :) !

8. I know one thing at the end of a 12 hour day on that ryan la 4 im one tired dude:D
    We plan on adding a plugr to our three ryans next season. The la 28 ryan we have is not as tiresome as the la 4 but it costs an arm and a leg so next season we gonna try the plugr .

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Pops don't be afraid to spend the extra $$. You will seriously regret not getting the PL600. Just the added width will make you lots more dollars. You will be on properties too long with the PL400. Unless everything you would aerate is 1000sf or less get the PL600. That $500 difference can be made up really fast.

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would really like to see or even try one of the pluggers for myself. I would be neat if we could get a rep to attend the BBQ in the next few weeks.

MATT