plugr aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Mar 5, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Has any one used or seen the plugr aerator?
    If so did it look solid?
    Did you see a demostration?
    What was your personal opinion?
    Is it very solid?
    Thanks.

2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing beat the Rock SOlid Plugr. Have used both the Ryan, Classen and Lesco Models and would say the Rock Solid Plugr works 10 times as well. I bought the Rock Solid lasts Spring and loved it.

Pluses

Pulls better plugs in dry soil because of its cam action tines

Easier to maneuver in tight areas because of its stable 4 wheels

Reliable simple design -- 50+ hours already and haven'r broken a single belt or linkage

Does not tear up turf as easily as drum type aerators

Very easy to load and unload from the trailer

Minuses

Will tear up turf if trying to go ***up*** very steep hils -- always go sideways

Slower than Drum Types -- but the PL800 pulls more cores so you only have to go over one pass -- not two.

Handle design need

3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Considering I have used Hamons unit, I agree it it THE BEST aerator I have ever used. I dont feel like a mashed potato at the end of the day. Wow, does it put holes down too!!!

4. sildoc

Thanks hamons and Kc. Looking good so far. Hammons what did you pay new? I have searched the net and found it to be right around 2000 pending the model about the same as bluebird and ryan(?).
    I would like a used one but since they look like such a new company I am not sure on if there will be many used ones.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own 2 of them.

6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

7. samman

samman LawnSite Member

What's the price on the 60" and the 40" Aera-Vator?
    Any general pricing guideline per thousand square ft?

8. sildoc

ya 61" would be nice but that would mean that I would have to buy a piece of equiptmnet that I would hardly use since most of my gates are 48" or less.

9. JeffK

JeffK LawnSite Member

I have an aerating business where I do a fair amount of lawns with the Plugr. I have nothing but good things to say about the unit.

You can use it all day and it doesn't feel like you got the crap kicked out of you.

I have used others and now wont use anything but the Plugr. I plan on buying the 800 model this fall (Currently have the 600 witht he Honda).

The only complaint has already been voiced. It doesn't go up hills well so you have to go sideways. Not a real big deal but the Honda engines have the oil sensor that cuts out when the oil flows to one side of the oil pan. The easiest remedy I think is to disconnect the oil shut off. Other than that the unit has been great!

Jeff

10. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

Purchased in spring 2003. Works great and pulls plugs better than the drum type. Has an incredible, simplistic design and I have been very happy with the machine. :)