Plugr engine Swap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by aclassic, Jun 13, 2007.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

I just bought a used PL800 aerator with the 6.5 B&S Intek with the 6-1 gear reduction. I was wondering if you can swap it with a 5.5 Honda and use the reducer from the Briggs and put it on the Honda? Does it bolt together? Are these reducers brand specific or are they interchangeable?
    Thanks

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if the briggs reduction can be interchanged with the honda but I know honda sells engines with the gear reduction already on them.

3. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

Right, I'm trying to avoid spending the extra $100+ just to get the model w/ the reducer. I've been doing a google search and its hard to even find gear reducers to see if they can be used on both engines interchangeably.
    Anybody else know?

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Would never work. You need a gear reduction crankshaft. The small gear is built into the crank shaft I think. Its not like you could just buy an engine with a 3/4" shaft, cut it down to length and stick the gear on it.

You can get a 6.5 Honda 6:1 gear reduction as well.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Can you post the model, Type and code numbers off this engine ?

6. Restrorob

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thats the output shaft that is a keyed 3/4" shaft. I am talking about the crankshaft of the engine....

The image shows the crank that the honda GX200 HX2 engine uses.

test.JPG

8. Restrorob

Yeah, I posted that quickly on edit (had to go someplace) by the second pic they showed.

I have still seen a few reducers with the slide on gear but it's been a while.

9. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

heres the actual pic of the briggs w/ reducer. i dont know if its a slide on one, or built in.

809e_3.jpg

10. Restrorob

That one is the splined crank......