Plugr vs Z-Plugr or front mount vs rider/wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maal, Jan 28, 2004.

1. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Here's a question for ya-

We are looking at offering aeration this upcoming season.

As with any product there are pros and cons. For you that have been offering this service for sometime, what are the pros/cons with the various aeration setups.

More specifically-
    WB

Rider (like the z)

Front mount (like the plugr)

(post pics if you got em)

Thanks-

Jay

2. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Oh yeah, One more aeration version:

The pull behind

Sorry 'bout that

Jay

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

We used a 48" pull behind, (lesco) and pulled it behind a wright stander, that worked awsome, the mower did a great job and you could double aerate in the time it took someone with a walk behind, We still brought the blue bird with us but in never got used cause you could get that stander everywhere, We tried pulling it behind our z, but you couldnt see to well behind you and it was too long.
    The problem...well I sold my mowing business and now I have nothing to pull the aerator with, so last season I went back to the blue bird, This year either I will hire a college kid to aerate ( we do 100-125 a season) or I will get the z-plugger.

4. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Can't help you on the pull behind, but we use the rock solid plugr PL800H. It is 30" path with the 5.5HP Honda engine. Works great and can aerate about 1/2 acre per hour. Their web-site is www.rocksolidx.com.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I also have the PL800H, does a good job of pulling plugs but had a lot of trouble going up-hill. Unit is not self propelled except by the tines, became a roto-tiller up-hill. Also would over run going down. think of a 250# shopping cart. No way to move it on concrete or on the trailer except brute force. I'm in a hilly area with a lot of lakefront propertys and I think I would have done better with the Lawnair V or something like it. Plugr would be better on flat lots, like the midwest, no hills. Never have used a pull behind so I can't help with that info. Looks like Plugr is doing somthing with a front mount now and that may work better. Overall the unit is well built and held up good, 1st year, about 125, 8000 sq ft lots, no problems Just not good on hills. Hope this helps

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

---------

zpluger.jpg

7. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

James, would you mind explaining where you hooked up the aerator to the stander...im about to get a stander and wanted to know how you worked this out. Thanks

8. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Same here. We just got the 36" super surfer.

Is there a tow behind option for it too?

-jay

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Yeh what we did was get a bolt on truck reciever hitch and bolted it to the plate you stand on, there are holes in the stander that line up perfectly, then insert a receiver hitch with out the ball on and use a pin to hook up the aerator.

This works awsome, You can aerate as fast a the stander will go, you dont have to raise the tines cause you aerate like a zamboni does the ice in a hockey rink. The stander and surfer work so well for this cause they are so easy to use and back up.

I've been walking behind aerators for 14 years before I stumbled on this idea, It made aeration soooo much more profitable. I would make the aeration crew take the blue bird with them but it never got used becasue the stander would work on anysize lawn

I am thinking about buying a use stander just for aerating..BTW the z-plugger pictured above is a stander chassis, very nice unit and I am considering that purshase as well.

10. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

James, thanks a million! As the guiness comercial says: BRILIANT!