Plugs vs. muffs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Dec 31, 2006.

?

Ear plugs or muffs?

1. Plugs

35.8%
  2. Muffs

64.2%
  1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was reading another thread about worktunes. Who prefers plugs over muffs? I personally cannot wear muffs. I get an awful droning noise which gives me a headache after about an hour. They are also so damn hot and make it difficult to wear a hat. Opinions?

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Peltors for me and I don't care if it 90 degrees out. I will only wear them when I'm mowing though, not trimming.

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Worktunes all the time unless it 95 degrees out. Then is worktunes while mowing and nothing to trim. If I trimmed a lot then I might put them back on to blow off the driveway.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get yourself a pair of SHURE headphones.

They have a little prong on them, you can take a piece of 3/16" plastic tubing, about 1" long and put over that prong, and then put those foam earplugs right over the tube.

Then you can just insert the whole thing in your ear like you'd normally wear the plug, and you'll have crystal clear sound, with absolutely no noise.

5. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I use plugs, I can't handle the bulky muffs.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone found a set of digital headphones, yet?

I can handle the heat. I can handle the pressure on my head. But, dang; constantly readjusting the dial because it keeps "drifting" from station to station.:angry:

7. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Plugs are way to uncomfortable for me and i can't hear anything with them. I use AOsafety.

8. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

We where in Maui last May, I think it was a Best Western we stayed at, we were sitting around the hotel room, then I here the gardeners using gas hedgers outside, I jump up and say "COOL!" i'm going to go talk to them! I go outside walk around the building and could not believe what I saw. Some dude in shorts, no shirt, flipflops, A cigarette hanging out of his mouth squinting because of the smoke, no earplugs and no safety glasses.:nono::hammerhead: hedging away! I couldn't believe it! I didn't talk to him I just walk back to the room in disbelief.:dizzy: What kind of company or hotel would allow that?

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

cheap labor!

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have. Got them here: http://www.csuk.us/basicline.php#fmseries
    One of the best things I ever bought.