Plugs vs. muffs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLM-1, Dec 31, 2006.

?

Ear plugs or muffs?

1. Plugs

35.8%
  2. Muffs

64.2%
  1. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

You should have gone back inside and grabbed the camara and snapped a few pics. LOL

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If by "plugs" you mean just normal ear plugs designed to block sound, then yes, that's what I use. Iv'e never even owned any music whatever with the ear buds or plugs.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone know what the average noise level is for a ZTR or trimmer?
    I'm surprised the commercial stuff doesn't have a sticker like some blowers do.

Personally, I have never used either... plugs or muffs or music earbuds... none of that.
    I just didn't start out that way and I have went so long without anything that now I get paranoid when I try to wear hearing protection. I don't like not being able to hear what's going on around me.

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to be like that. Then when i started to wear ear plugs the days seemed to go by so much quicker and i found myself to be much less tired.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I like muffs.

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Does you wife ever tell you to turn down the TV because it is to loud, if not she will before you get a whole lot older. I have operated machinery and shot a lot including 155 Howitzers all my life now I can't hear worth 2 cents. I think it is a male problem because all the wives of my friends say none of their husbands can hear. I like what you said the other day about you can sure tell it is winter with these posts we comment on.

7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I use Peltor muffs, I use the top of the line, which is rated at 30db. I can't stand plugs, they make my ears hurt.

I think that small power equipment run around 100db at the muffler. Large chain saws tend to run around 10 to 20 db higher.

Official blower ratings are db at 50ft from the muffler and thus lower.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can answer this since I have a dB meter. Gimme a few minutes.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Cool! Can one of those be had for a resonable price? Just seems like a neat toy to have around. My ztr with the blower/blades running (Dixon) is honestly one of the loudest I know of, and Iv'e used a number of brands.

Nevermind, I looked and found then budget ones for around $60 and then up to $300+ for better models.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Radio Shack for under 50 bucks.