Plumbing Problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JayinMI, Jul 16, 2010.

1. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

OK having an issue and yooper and I tried to figure it out but.......

I need to install a sprinkler system in a rental house. The WHOLE house is 1/2 copper EVERYWHERE. There is not even a way to turn off the wtr to the house except for the meter pit outside.

I need to know how many GPM I can get through the 1/2 copper. I can turn it into 1" about 2 ft before the PVB. The yard is small so I can put MPR's in the front, but will need 5004's in the back.

I know the "proper" way to do this would be to tie in right after the meter with another meter pit in the yard but I am trying to avoid this if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Same rules apply. What is your pressure? Is it Type M or type L or type K?

3. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

68 PSI at the hose bib. Type K copper.

FYI I am working an e-mail to send you about questions with the pigtails.

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

You really should tie in at the meter. 1/2" pipe only gives you about 6 GPM safely and it's going to be real hard to design a system on that. It can be done but you'll have to have so many zones that it's cheaper to tie in at the meter, which is the correct way anyhow.

5. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

I would not have a problem doing that if I was not paying for the system. If I were to tie in right after the meter it is going to cost ALOT. At 6 GPM I can do 3MPR's which will net me two zones in the front (45 X 15) and two maybe 3 5004's in the back depending on how I nozzle which would mean three zones.

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow type K in a house? Around here you use to see type M cooper.

7. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

Old Old house........

8. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

You're also going to have really high friction losses with 1/2" pipe so you will want to make sure you calculate your hydraulics, including all pipe in the house that it may be running through.

I still wouldn't do it this way. I work on homeowner installed systems that are done like this and they just don't work very well.

9. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

I know this is not the proper way to do this. Like I said I am trying to avoid a second meter pit at all costs. I seen a doozy HO installed system the other day, right off the hose bib!

10. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful messing with old cooper, it might be paper thin and brittle.