1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Plumbing question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawnboy53, Dec 14, 2001.

1. lawnboy53

lawnboy53 LawnSite Member
    from Neb

I've got a question. First of all I dont do irrigation work. I had one particular client, a good friend of mine who also owns 2 stores we maintain. I could not get my irrigation man off his ass to get this blow out done and the night time temp was forecast to be 10 degrees. I went to the clients house and was going to drain down the inside plumbing and the irrigation guy was going to be there for a blow out the following day. The drain his plumber put in was a copper stub with a plug. It took all I had with 2 cresent wrenches to break this plug loose and i think I twisted the copper a little. Is this a goofball drain? Every other inside drain I've ever seen has been a gate valve, including to one at my house. Give me your thoughts, Thanks in advance.

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

my own experiences say that there is nothing uncommom with the way it was set-up.

I am assuming you are talking about the drain inside the house between the hookup to the main water supply and the backflow on the outside of the house.

I would say the reason for the plug type is simple....cost....cheaper than putting in a gate valve. No other reason. I agree, and would say a valve of some sort would be easier, but some guys will try to cut every corner they can.