Plus and minus of a mulch kit on St. Augustine Grass?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by customcurbdesigns, Feb 5, 2008.

1. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

What is the plus and minus of using a mulch kit? Is it needed for st. augustine? Thanks

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

kind of depends on the highth and how thick it is.....

it's native Texas grass. I have one account that I'm going to drop simply because the St. aug. is too thick....Its a Killer lawn.....avg. 1/4 acer. but with the grass the way it is... it has to go....

the St. Aug will break down prety well, again unless it's tall and or thick....

the clippings will kill the st Aug. if it sits on it...

you really dont have to worrie about thatch with it......

hope this helps
  3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

There really is no need for a mulch kit on St. Augustine down here in the Tampa area. Just get an OCDC and shut it when you are around flower beds and when people are too crazy to stay away from a discharging mower..... :hammerhead:

I don't have an OCDC yet but I will so for now I just take the time to aim away from bed and watch for people.

In the summer when the grass is growing like crazy you will totally hate the mulch kit!
  4. customcurbdesigns

customcurbdesigns LawnSite Member
    from Tampa

Thanks, thats great to know. The dixie chopper I am thinking about buying doesnt use a mulch kit and thats why I asked. It does come with the ocdc though.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have the permanent blocking device on all our mowers year round and cut a lot of St Augustine with no problem. WE do this because it is safer and can cut lawns a lot faster since we never need to worry about throwing grass on sidewalkers, trimmer guys, flower beds etc. We don't run any fixed deck so we can adjust height as needed....and Sentar with RH is very nice.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

did the same with my Exmark,,,, then I noticed it was really slowing me down.

Most of my accounts are 3 plus acers. the issue of throwing it on walks and such... just was not an issue.....

Finley I got the ezchute.....
  7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Blocker plate and Gator Blades. I cut nothing but St Aug and Floratam, never had a problem with thatch buildup or killing by clippings.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I run a mulch kit 75% of the time. I cut a lot of St. Aug.