PLZ HELP! Need help with weeds!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jhawker23, Apr 28, 2007.

1. jhawker23

jhawker23 LawnSite Member

I REALLY need help! My wife and I bought a house this winter and this is what sprouted up almost overnight. We were away on a trip and this is what our yard looked like yesterday! We have a new baby so money and time are somewhat restricted. I am not looking to have the best lawn on the block, but is there any hope for getting rid of these weeds? It is a rather big lawn (weed bed). My neighbor told me that it looks like I have buffalo grass mixed with tall fescue. That mix is only in the front however. In the back and sides it is all buffalo. My concern is this overwhelming weed situation. Is there any hope??? I cannot possibly strart from scratch this spring. What can I do???

I greatly appreciate ANY help!!! Please help!

I'm trying to post pics for the first time. It should be a link to a web album on Shutterfly. Hope this works...

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/pictures?a=67b0de21b3293e85053e&sid=0AbsnDZy1cNWLjI

2. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

This little jobby is going to cost you regardless.. weed control apps are needed.. not too familiar with your zone, but spray with trimec or speedzone (or better yet, call someone!!). Roundup in the rock beds. There are tons of weeds there, and it is not a one time deal getting rid of them. a weed free lawn is work. and if you are happy having 'a few' weeds, then you must accept having all of them.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhh that's just some thistle or something like that, no maybe it's not thistle it could be dandelion but whatever it's very common, easy money weeds. What you do is go to Home Depot and get a handheld 2 gallon sprayer and a 32 oz. bottle of Ortho 'Lawn Weed Killer' READ the LABEL not Lawn & Weed Killer but 'Lawn Weed Killer.'

There's also Ortho max but the regular brown bottle is good stuff, mix it at a rate of 1.25 ounces of Ortho per gallon of water, so 2 gallons water and 2.5 maybe 3 ounces of Ortho and spray those little pests. If you run out of mix, make more, a 32 oz. bottle goes a long way.

Best time to do it is in the heat of the sun light, high noon, with NO rain in the forecast for at least 48 hours, also it helps if there's not much wind (due to drift) then you're gtg.

You could get the garden hose hookup and spray it that way, but it uses a TON more chemical and I much prefer the hand sprayer, up to you. You do have a considerable area to cover, maybe do consider the garden hose hook-up bottle, then get a 32.oz refill with it (it really uses a lot of ortho, w/ the garden hose, but it is quicker)

You'll spend up to 20 on the sprayer and another 10 - 15 on the ortho you should get away with less than $40.

Two things: Do NOT seed within 30 days of applying weed killer.
    After 30 days, you may need another application (I always do lol but the 2nd one and zero weeds for real).

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh wait, you've got what appears to be crabgrass, too...
    Consider getting the Ortho Max w/ Crabgrass killer, bit more expensive but worth it in this case.
    1 but really 2 applications 30 days apart and you're weed free, at least for a while :laugh:

5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Kill it all off and reseed. It looks like you have lots of areas that will need overseeding once you kill out all the weeds. You may be better off spending the $$ now and do it right from the start. How large is the area?

6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

read the label on the herbicide carefully. be careful not to use it when the temps are above 90. that may not be a problem in Kan. this time of year, but later in the summer it could be. i would not recommend a hose-end sprayer for herbicide bc they are not that accurate in the mixing. The ortho only needs one hour to be absorbed/dry. after that you can water and rain should not be a problem. finally, be careful using this product around shrubs/trees. the dicamba can kill them if it gets into the root zone. shallow rooted plants such as azaleas are more succeptible. we lost several oaks here at the college bc of this.