Plz...what Do You Think????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, May 11, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I Was At Home Depot They Have Many Zero Turn Sit On Mowers Around $2k-3k With $60 A Month Payment, Are These Commercial Mowers Or Not? Would You Buy From Home Depot Or Not Or Just Look On Ebay For A Deal? Hd Has Toro And Cub Cadet Equipment They Look Amazing And With The $60 Month Payment No Finacnce Or Interest For 3 Years Could This Be The Way To Go Rather Then Buying A Older Machine For $500 Which Could Cost You Alot In Repairs In The Future, Im New To The Business And Im Trying To Juggle The Decision Of Wether Or Not To Shell Out The Money For A New Piece Of Equipemnt For $3000 Aprox Or Be Cheap And Buy A 10 Year Old Wb Toro For $500 Which Could Possilby Lead To $1000 Of Reapairs Plus The Time The Shop Keeps It If It Has Problems, I Just Bought A Truck For $450 Which Runs Good ...has A Reese Hitch Which Everyhone I Mentioned This Purchase To Told Me This Hitch Alone Is Worth What I Paid For The Truck...its An 1988 F 150 140k Miles...

To Get To The Point, Which Im Sure Everyone Of You When You First Started Out Contemplated Whether To Go For Used Eqipment Or To Buy $3k Plus For New Eqip. I Could Either Buy The $500 For The Toro 10 Y/o And Use This And Then Purcase A Good Sit On Mower When I Expand And Then I Will Have 2 Good Commercial Units And Knock Out Huge Yards..

He Also Has A 16x6 Trailer For $500,,,i Think This Is A Good Deal, But Since I Ionly Have 1 Mower Is This Going To Be A Waste In Gas To Lug This Huge Trailer Around,,even Though For Cleanups It Will Be Nice To Have All The Space.

Let Me Know What You Guys Think...

Thanks Alot!!

Kevin!!

2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

most of what you'd buy at Home Depot isnt commercial grade. i strongly suggest buying from a dealer no matter what brand you decide to go with. you might spend an extra couple hundred bucks but you'll have guaranteed service for the unit.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Not comm.

And using capitol letters at the first of every word makes it much harder to read, I didnt even read the entire post, only the first line.

4. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Mule......if you look at the mowers from home Depot or Lowes compared to a "good" ztr....The decks are made of really thin crap aluminum, and just wont hold up. I would say th same, go to a dealer and spennd the extra couple dollars and get something that will last you a few years.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

No they are not true commercial machines, and I'd never by a mower of any type from HD, Lowes etc. Main reason being if it breaks, you have to have a dealer repair it. And if you didn't buy it from the dealer, the service you'll recieve probably won't be as good, and you won't be a priority so you'll end up waiting a while to have it fixed.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Home depot equipment is intended for homeowner use. If you are just starting off I would not in to big a hurry for brand new cheap equipment not indended to be used to the extent an LCO will use it. Purchase a used mower and start a relationship with a dealer.

My toro walkbehind is far from new. It still does a good job, still in good mechanical condition and is intened to be used commercially. It is still a productive piece of equipment. Yes someday I will have to replace it. I am thinking a motor at the end of the season.

7. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Everything they sell is non-commercial

Any time the big box stores start carrying equipment i.e. Echo, it's time to stay away from that product. Obviously the quality has been lost in their products when they start selling to the "BIG BOX STORES" jmho.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't agree.

Just because you can buy homeowner-grade Echo equipment at HD, it doesn't mean their commercial grade stuff is crap.

They're simply selling a lower-grade product at an affordable price for once a week homeowner use. And the HD stuff works fine in those applications.