PM Lighting?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Flow Control, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Anything good or bad about the company. Lost a job to someone that was using the PM product and was 7k less.

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Well....I can tell ya that fixtures alone won't condone a 7k difference. Yikes!

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Somebody is a better salesman. Remember, you are not selling fixtures, your selling yourself and atmosphere.

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

If the difference was 7k, I'm curious to know what your original bid was and for what type of job? I would imagine that it would be hard to compete against any contractor that is willing to put in a lighting system for free; therefore, your salesmanship might not be the problem just yet.
    Could you share a little more info?

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Amen, that will preach.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

11 Accent Lights @ $170 each
    14 Well Lights @ $160 each
    28 Pathway Lights @ $195 each
    31 Flood Lights @ $169 each

3 Transfomers & wire installed for @ $2650

84 Lights & transformers/wire installed for $17,629 works out to $204 per fixture. And I had added in the quote $400 that the guy owed me from last year.

Pual you disappointed me, are you saying that the less expensive sales pitch is always the better salesman? If thats the case I am going to get rid of all my insurance and work trucks and just by an old pickup and wing everything. I have known this customer for 3 years since we started to service his irrigation.

7. NightScenes

I'm sorry that I misunderstood the earlier post. I was under the impression that you were $7k less than the other guy. In this case, he would have been a very good salesman to get an additional $7k on a job, wouldn't you agree? Now I understand that he came in $7k less than you, in which case (seeing your pricing) he won't be in business very long and you will be ripping out that system and replacing it in a couple of years. Then you'll make that $7k and then some because you'll be doing a demo job.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

The other guy may have came in with a lighting plan with far fewer lights and materials. I see this happen, on occasion, and the homeowner doesn't give you an opportunity to explain that your design is much more complete. The homeowner may simply be looking at the bottom line price. Do you know what the other guy's quote was to include? If it's not too late, perhaps you could explain to the homeowner that your offering is much more for the money?
    Just a thought...

9. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

What I was agreeing with is that clients buy you, your company, your design, and your proposal. While we discuss fixtures here over and over, I have only had a couple of customers ask anything about the fixtures other than warranty in the last 8 years. In my meetings I try to stress warrranty and the difference between pars vs. MR's. since par estimates are the low ball estimates as a rule. When you lose a bid just because of price you have to realize that you didn't need that customer most often. If If I feel that me and potential client were clicking and then I loose the bid, I will call and ask in a very nice tone, How did I get beat? Design, Price, or what?

10. NightScenes

This is a great point. You should ask why. This way you know what needs to be looked at. If it's just price, and all is taken into consideration, so be it. but if it's a misunderstanding or something else that can be fixed, then you at least know where you need to make those corrections.