pneumatic gun

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by icobob, Apr 24, 2007.

1. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I am wanting to buy an air gun to change the blades on my hustler. How big of a gun do I need to get to do this type of work?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Most cheap 1/2" impacts are sufficient- just don't use to install the blades, removal only.

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh? I've been using a 1/2" impact for over 6 years for both install and removal. There is no issue at all utilizing this process. If you are concerned with stripping out a "grade 8" bolt (good luck) get yourself a torque stick to eliminate the possibility of over tightening. www.torquestick.com I use one on my car but don't bother with the mower.

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow! Do you change them often enough to need an impact wrench? Are they that tight?

I just use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a combination wrench on my Scag...

5. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I am just going to be changing them once a year. Are you guys telling me I should just do it by hand and leave the impact alone. Couldnt I just hand start the bolts so I dond cross thread them or are you guys talking about something else. Thanks

6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I start them by hand and then tighten them down with the impact. Sure, you can do it by hand but using an impact is so much easier. No need to brace the blade and it tightens right up. I change/sharpen my blades a couple times /month so mine are on and off several times throughout the season. To each their own but I'm sticking to air. :)

7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

OK what I am talking about is tightening too tight! If you tighten by hand, you'll never get it so tight that you can't get it off by hand. Torque stick is a good idea, but for someone changing 1 set of blades a year, a bit extravagant.

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've got a dewalt impact a dw59 k-2 i think it is awsome. never had anything that it has broke free yet

9. icobob

icobob LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thanks Guys !!!