1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Poa Anna

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Field General, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

I take care of a High School football field.I am really starting to have problems with Poa Anna intruding on my field. I have been looking for ways to combat the poa. Most info I have found says to either kill it all with round-up and start over , or go with the "you cant stop it - you can only hope to contain it" approach.

Has anyone had any luck trying to selectively killing the poa.

Any and all comments please.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

get a hold of osu researchers. at their outdoor seminar this year they had plots where they were controlling poa annua selectively. they are currently researching a couple different products i believe. can't remember the names, but they seemed to be working well. the problem will be the costs of these products might be very expensive. i'm sure you are on a budget.

the golf course i used to work on back in the day used the "contain it" approach, but they haven't had much success containing it. once it starts seeding you will find patches spreading. good luck!
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have good success with core aeration over the area. I think the poa likes hard packed soil like you get on a football field.
  4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Prograss will control poa annua

Prograss Label

Scotts has TGR on fertilizer for poa suppression.....

Good luck
  5. Field General

Field General LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I have always had some pao in my field, but in recent years it has gotten progressively worse. I have tried late summer and early fall pre-m applications with little or no success. The field usually looks good until mid to late august, then, even with irrigation it starts to die off. This makes the turf thin and then it only takes one rain game and the rest of the year it looks awful. I used to have a very nice stand of turf that I was proud of, but lately " not so much".

Thanks for the input.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The chemists are gradually coming out with more products. Look up "Velocity" herbicide online. Read about results at Iowa State University. Works in some states not others--they are still trying to find the best time and rates and repeat intervals. $800 per pound--but a little goes a long way.

Do not use Roundup--it kills the grass, but not the poa seed already in soil--it will come back worse than before.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I forgot. If you cut low and bag the infected area, it will help in removing allot of next years spread.
  8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Have you tried Revolver or Cosair.....What is the grass type? If its Bermuda, you can Nuke it now with it being Dormant.....I have even had good success using round up pro and over seeding with rye so Bermuda can grow in back over the roots......But control depends on the grass type.....
  9. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

There are two herbicdes out now that work on undesireable grass. They are being developed for golf. Monsanto makes Certinty and the other is Velocity made by ????. Very expensive.
  10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC