Poa Annua, best control methods?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassguy_, Apr 17, 2004.

1. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a few athletic fields that have just become packed with annual blue and besides totally eradicating and reseeding, how have any of you done with control measures such as Prograss, etc.?

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing I have found is Simazine in the fall, and another round of Pend. in the spring. That is for bermuda turf. Tony

3. ProCutIA1

ProCutIA1 LawnSite Member
    from NW IA

I believe Fusilade works for that???

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Prograss will work great, but if you have a bad infestation of Poa, you won't have any turf left.

5. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Is simazine a pre-emergent or post for poa?

6. scweedman

This Poa is becoming a major pain! Everyone tells me Pre-emergents in the the fall is the best way. It's hard to tell
    someone we will get it next year until then your lawn will
    just look bad. In the south the heat kills it but the seeds
    or still there. ( Dimension)

7. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

It's definitely been my experience that you prevent the blugrass in the Fall. I haven't seen any exception to this

8. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've heard that hitting with Barricade in the fall and then a follow up in the spring will help, just wondering if this has had any success. All I've read about Prograss is that it works but only through numberous treatments throughout the year simply because of the way Poa annua continues to proliferate throughout the season. Thanks for the feedback guys!

9. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing I have found for Poa is, Simazine in the fall at the max rate, and it will take care of it pretty good. I have testimonials that after this app. the lawns look better than they ever have. Good Luck, Tony

10. scweedman

Just spray the whole lawn as a pre emergent?