Poa Annua Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LndscpEssentials, Feb 7, 2003.

1. LndscpEssentials

LndscpEssentials LawnSite Member

I'm unhappy with the late winter control of poa. In last couple of years I took a position in a company where I'm in control of chemical division. I'm familiar with what many other companies use in my area and I've used Simtrol (Simazine) for Fall Pre Emergent. The poa is really noticeabe in late Dec thru early Mar. You don't notice it really unless you walk the lawn. The lawns are clean except for the Poa, what can I do guys. I'm new here so take it easy on me!

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Not much really. Aerate more often. Poa anna is a big problem here, but I mostly see it where the soil is compacted do to high traffic areas. I rarely see it in the lawn that has no traffic. I use pre-m(pendimithilum)(sp?). Then I spot spray with Atrazene, it knocks it out quick.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

When (date) did you put down the pre-emergent?

4. LndscpEssentials

LndscpEssentials LawnSite Member

Hey, I put the Pre Emerg's down Oct. - Eearly Nov. I didn't use spreader sticker alot of times during this round. Don't know how much that affected it. Also, yea it's in alot of areas that receive heavy use from kids & pets, poor drainage & filtered shade areas. But it still seems to be too much.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

You put it down about a month too late, IMO, for your area. We put ours down in Sept to early Oct here. We have pretty good control, but it always seems to germinate in the compacted areas. So, you used a liquid? We use granule or wettable.