poa annua/triv problems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by smlc451, Aug 28, 2014.

1. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

I just put down Tenacity + Quinclorac + Prodiamine in a BP sprayer. I mixed up 2 gal at a time and used these amounts:

2.2 TSP of Quin, 1 TSP of Tenacity, 3 TSP of Prodiamine, 3 TSP NIS, and probably 4 tsp of marker.

I used this to get rid of CG in my yard, day 2 that crap is already turning yellow.

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

smic451, why the Prodiamine? You must not be planning to overseed any of it? Cool that you are seeing results. Tenacity and Quinclorac both show damage quickly.

Ron, good goings you are going to be prime time with seed and topdress plan.

3. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

I overseeded most of it in the spring already, I'm hoping it will just fill in where the CG dies. I have to bring a skid loader into my back yard and tear a bunch of crap up so when I put down my app back there I just want to control the CG from spreading as long as possible since I don't plan on reseeding until after the skid work.

4. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of things about this tank mix:

1) I guess I can back the prodiamine application, but only if winter annuals have been a problem for you in the past. You should see less chickweed, henbit, deadnettle, and other winter annuals next spring if you’re applying prodiamine now, but if those aren’t usually a problem, you may just be spraying your money away.

2) Why quinclorac + Tenacity? What are you targeting? If you’ve got mature crabgrass, you’re going to need two applications of whatever you choose, whether it would be MSMA (in the old days), quinclorac, Tenacity, Acclaim, or even fluazifop. Quinclorac + Tenacity doesn’t kill it any faster or kill it any deader, so why use the unnecessary product and unnecessary expense?

5. Skipster

What rate of prodiamine did you use? You're probably looking at no less than 3 months between application and seeding. Are you planning to seed in late November/early December?

6. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

I'm trying to control poa a, poa t, possibly some bentgrass but I think it's just patches of fine fescue, and a butt load of CG.

Earlier in year I applied Escalade 2 to get rid of broadleaf and it worked very well, didn't even need to do a second app. I applied 20-0-5 in the spring once, and then again a few weeks ago, and 2 apps of Humate for sh*ts and giggles.

I also applied Certainty in the back yard around mid May and then a round of Escalade 2.

7. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

We could have 3ft of snow on the ground in late Nov/Dec, so no. I overseeded in the spring so I'm hoping that might fill in, otherwise I'll slit seed in the spring next year.

I think I have to wait 4 months to overseed with the prodiamine.

8. Skipster

I guess I still don’t understand. Of the target weeds you listed, only crabgrass and bentgrass are susceptible to the tank mix you applied. Quniclorac + Tenacity + prodiamine is not going to remove annual bluegrass, poa triv, or fine fescue.

I might suggest that the most important time to apply PRE herbicides in your part of the world is the spring, to reduce crabgrass populations. Seeding might work better in the fall for you than in the spring.

9. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Tenacity offers pre-m suppression of poa annua, but yeah I guess you're right. I will need to find something else for the poa annua and trivialis.

So basically I should just be using Tenacity or Quinclorac, ditch the prodiamine so I can have more overseeding options, and find something else like Certainty for my poa annua/triv problems?

10. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Prodiamine in fall does a great job of preventing germination of poa annua. I have all but eliminated it with fall and spring applications of prodiamine.